windows live onecare activation RRS feed

• Question

• for the past year I have had Windows Live OneCare, now I have purchased (in store) a new  subscription have set it up on my computer but can not activate it have tried several times and this is my last resort. Please help

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:14 AM

Answers

• What happens when you try to activate? Do you sign in with the LiveID that you already had your original subscription set up with and it happily moves on and then starts telling you it is time to renew? If so, that's normal. Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and log in with that LiveID. Select the OneCare link for "renew" and then select the choice to renew with a PIN/Token. On the next page type in the retail product key from inside the retail package. Upon completion, your subscription will have been extended for 12 months from the expiration date. OneCare will learn of this when it next communicates with the OneCare servers and you will no longer see the renewal nags.

If you are encountering a different error with activating the new copy, please explain what you did and what happens and I'll unmark this as the answer.

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:23 PM

All replies

• What happens when you try to activate? Do you sign in with the LiveID that you already had your original subscription set up with and it happily moves on and then starts telling you it is time to renew? If so, that's normal. Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and log in with that LiveID. Select the OneCare link for "renew" and then select the choice to renew with a PIN/Token. On the next page type in the retail product key from inside the retail package. Upon completion, your subscription will have been extended for 12 months from the expiration date. OneCare will learn of this when it next communicates with the OneCare servers and you will no longer see the renewal nags.

If you are encountering a different error with activating the new copy, please explain what you did and what happens and I'll unmark this as the answer.

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Steve,

I finally got back to you.  I tried the favorites that I saved our conversation under but I kept getting an error 500.  Anyways the other problem, getting rid of the old machine by simply deleting it seemed to work perfectly but what I was afraid of may have taken place.  I now have a major problem.  My machine only is getting constant out of virtual memory errors which I never got before.  Windows has almost maxed it out on it's own and I am still getting it with in anyplace between 1 hr - 8 hrs of being on the machine.  Needless to say it also brings the machine to a screeching halt for speed.  If I had to take a semi-educated guess I would say that for some reason programs/temp files etc. are not being cleared from memory after they are closed.  The only way to stop this is to completely reboot the machine.  Power it down.  Making it unusable.  I tried to only keep one window open at a time.  That makes it last longer, up to 8 hrs. but I can leave it untouched over night with nothing open and in the morning it can't even paint the screen to open a window.

Additionally, and this may be related, the printer problem. 3/4 of the time the printer will work fine. But 1/4 this machine can't find it and wants me to install it. I choose the fax version of the same printer which is not the default and it finds it.

Help, I have to leave on an emergency for Calif tomorrow morning. I will be taking my computer but I really need it working before I leave.  Hopefully it's an easy fix.

The second computer is working fine.

Thanks for your immediate attention if at all possible.

Pam
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Hello, Pam. Sorry that my response was not very immediate. I was traveling last week and came home with a bad cold, so haven't been to the forum is a number of days.
    Your problem with virtual memory can be due to any number of things, most likely not related to OneCare, though. The most likely cause is that there is a program or driver running that is consuming memory and not releasing it. Finding the culprit can be rather tedious as it means disabling programs that are loading at start and also watching memory usage closely when launching programs and closing them. Since the problem happens when the PC is on, but you aren't using it, you can begin by focusing on programs that are running in the background.
    Personally, faced with an issue such as yours, I'd consider backing up all data and then restoring the PC to factory condition per the manufacturer's instructions using a restore process or reinstalling Windows. Once you've done that, you would need to reinstall software, including OneCare, and then restore your backed up data.
    This may also resolve the printer problem, as I agree that it may be related in some fashion.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:56 PM