Connection Problems with Windows 8.1 PC's RRS feed

• Question

• I have three PC's all running Windows 8.1 Pro and none of them can install the WHS 2011 connector.  The error I'm getting is "Cannot connect this computer to the network" and below "An unexpected error has occurred. For more information, see ...".   However, I can access the server's file shares as well as remote desktop to it.  It's not a password issue either because when I type in the password incorrectly on purpose Windows responds with a message that the password is not correct.  When I enter the correct one the connector installer thinks for a second and then displays the error message.  All PC's and the server are patched up, all firewalls are disabled.  I can't think of anything else to try.  Any ideas anyone?
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:48 PM

Answers

• I have a W8.1 machine connected to my WHS2011 Server so it's not a fundamental issue. However, it was a W8 machine when the connector was installed. When you say your server is "patched up" do you have the UEFI Hotfix installed? Not sure if this is why the connector will not install but if it did and your 8.1 machines are UEFI installations you will not be able to back them up without it installed. It might be worth a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:16 PM
    Friday, May 9, 2014 10:14 PM
  • No, just one required - I have never worked out the difference so have only ever used the latest (on 2 Servers) and UEFI machines backup and restore without problem. Still not sure why your connector won't install.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• I have a W8.1 machine connected to my WHS2011 Server so it's not a fundamental issue. However, it was a W8 machine when the connector was installed. When you say your server is "patched up" do you have the UEFI Hotfix installed? Not sure if this is why the connector will not install but if it did and your 8.1 machines are UEFI installations you will not be able to back them up without it installed. It might be worth a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Friday, May 9, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.  One machine was UEFI, the other two were not.  I installed the patch but I still got the same error message.  When I downloaded the patch from Microsoft's web site, however, there were three patches with the same KB ID, and only the bottom indicating that it has something to do with UEFI.  So that's the one I installed but not the other two.  Should I install those as well?
    Monday, May 12, 2014 7:44 PM
  • No, just one required - I have never worked out the difference so have only ever used the latest (on 2 Servers) and UEFI machines backup and restore without problem. Still not sure why your connector won't install.

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:31 PM