CRM 2013 Appointments synchronization with Exchange Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a situation that I want to confirm if I'm doing something wrong or if it is by design.

So, I have a CRM 2013 Online, and a 365 Office account with OWA. I have my Outlook client connected to it but NO CRM for Outlook Add-In since my customer has a Surface RT which doesn't support it.

So I configured Server Side Sync, and everything looks fine but for a couple of things I want to confirm, as I mentioned before:

1) If I send an email from my client or OWA Outlook, to a lead's email, the email is not tracked in CRM. Per my configuration, it's tracked when the customer answers to the email. I couldn't see a way to track the outgoing email unless I add a Forwarding rule, is this behavior correct or I'm missing something?

2) When I create an Appointment in CRM, it's synced with OWA and my client. However, is there a chance to set the reminder from CRM? Can I set the TZ if I want to create the Appointment in a different TZ than the user I'm using in CRM? (this is something that you can do from Outlook)

3) With Appointments created in CRM, I'm seeing this weird behavior. I create it in Time Zone (TZ) -0300, as that's my CRM user configuration. When I open it in OWA, and look at the calendar, it's set with the correct date and time, if I open it (double click) it also shows it fine. However, when I go to my Outlook client, I see it right in the calendar, but if I open the appointment I see the time and date in Coordinated Time Zone and it says the user created the meeting in that zone. Again, my CRM user is in -0300 TZ but I know CRM handles UTC in the background, so..is there a chance to see it in the users TZ?

I'm adding some screenshots to help you understand.

What the organizer sees in Outlook client after opening the appointment:

What an Appointment participant sees in his outlook client and how both appointments are seen in the calendar inside the Outlook client:

Thanks in advance!!!

Dynamics CRM Certified Consultant (MB2-631,632,633)

Friday, October 17, 2014 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately this seems to be a Microsoft bug as you can see here.

I hope this makes any sense to you and if possible, you can change the synchronization method.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:47 PM

All replies

• Question 1 If you send an email from Outlook or OWA then the email will not appear in the CRM database. That is the correct behaviour.

This is an outgoing email which you could "Track" and copy to the CRM database if you were able to use the CRM client for Outlook (which you have said that you can't). There are no synchronization options with CRM in OWA. Server-side synchronization is not relevant here because that applies to emails created within the CRM application and controls how those emails get sent to Exchange or Exchange Online.

Question 2 There is no out of the box feature in CRM for reminders. I guess it relies on the remaindering system in Outlook. You can't chose the time zone for an appointment, any times that you select are in the time zone set for your user account (in Personal Options). You probably could add time zone selection capability via customization.

Question 3 I don't understand the behaviour you are getting. CRM does indeed store date/times in UTC format but displays them according to your time zone settings. So if you create an appointment there should be no issue when you view it in CRM or the Outlook client. Perhaps there is a configuration setting in Outlook that is creating confusion with time zones. I tested this by creating an appointment in CRM, waiting for the appointment to appear in my Outlook calendar, opening the appointment and then clicking Time Zones. Everything behaved as expected. What time zone do you have set in Outlook, options under Calendar?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi Feridun, and thanks for answering.

Thanks for confirming question 1 and 2. And yes, when the customer is ready, we are going to go with a customization to handle question 2.

About question 3, my calendar in Outlook is in the same TZ as the CRM user. I've seen this behavior in two machines, both user and outlooks with different TZ (mine -0300 and the other person +1000) but both connected to the same exchange server. I will try in a different exchange server to see if that could be the reason.

Thanks again for your reply.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hi Alejandro,

I got the same problem - do you have a solution for this?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Lisa

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately this seems to be a Microsoft bug as you can see here.

I hope this makes any sense to you and if possible, you can change the synchronization method.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:47 PM