How do i backup my... RRS feed

• Question

• server to an external drive?  i tried using windows backup in system tools but i got an error and it didn't finish.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

• You can backup the data on the  shares either with the console based server backup or with a robocopy batch file and the backups of the client either with the add-in described here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsdevelopers/thread/a1ba8d9e-2945-491e-a1f1-c9f09fdfb7fb
    or a batch like
    net stop PDL
    net stop WHSBackup
    xcopy D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} e:\WHSBackupCopy
    net start WHSBackup
    net start PDL

(Instead of xcopy you could also use robocopy, ideally with /mir parameter, which mirrors the files and deletes such, which do not exist any more in the source, also on the target.)
    Backing up the operating system seems to cause too many issues, so a server reinstall might be the easier solution.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    There is no easy way at present, to backup the whole server to anywhere.
    'Standard' backup programs/tools won't usually cope, as they don't know the difference between tombstones and actual data.

Not too sure why you would need to backup the whole server anyway, there is already facilities to backup your duplicated shared folders to another location, and there is an Add-In available while will also copy your Backup database to another location.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:50 PM
  • i'm using one of my builds for my business so i need to keep my files off-site in case the pc gets stolen or destoyed somehow.  so i guess i'd only need to back-up the data to an ext so i can take it home for safe keeping.  i know i can just copy the files i want to the drive just wondering if there is an automated solution.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:13 PM
  • You can backup the data on the  shares either with the console based server backup or with a robocopy batch file and the backups of the client either with the add-in described here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsdevelopers/thread/a1ba8d9e-2945-491e-a1f1-c9f09fdfb7fb
    or a batch like
    net stop PDL
    net stop WHSBackup
    xcopy D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} e:\WHSBackupCopy
    net start WHSBackup
    net start PDL

(Instead of xcopy you could also use robocopy, ideally with /mir parameter, which mirrors the files and deletes such, which do not exist any more in the source, also on the target.)
    Backing up the operating system seems to cause too many issues, so a server reinstall might be the easier solution.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:19 PM
  •  Not too sure why you would need to backup the whole server anyway

1) To save having to reinstall all those plugins

2) To save having to run through all those customisations - disable SBcore, set static IP address, files altered in IIS etc etc

Even the ability to recreate a WHS set up (aka XP's file and setting wizard) would be better than nothing.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:58 PM
  • i just tried to run the back-up using the one in system tools and it didn't backup one file.  the error log says that the d: drive is not connected.  using the backup program in wizard mode i selected the entire "shared" folder to backup.  the error log listed thousands of files as not being connected.  what did i do wrong?
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:09 PM
  • D: drive is the Data partition on the system disk. I wonder, what the exact error message is and when it happens.

For Backup via console you need a drive, which is not part of the storage pool and PP1 installed.
    If you select Add for this drive, you get the choice to add it to the Storage pool or to use it for Server backup.
    After selecting the later option Server backup should work.

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:19 PM
  • the ext drive i'm backing up to is not part of the pool.  i'm not at that server now but log that was created had a message on each file that said something like "d:data/shared/photos/file name is not connected".  once i get to the office tomorrow i'll post the exact message.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:09 AM
  • That would point to a problem with that special file or it's storage location.
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:35 AM
  • ok here is part of the log file...

Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "Backup.bkf created 10/2/2008 at 1:53 PM"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
    Backup (via shadow copy) of "D: DATA"
    Backup set #2 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 10/2/2008 at 1:53 PM"
    Media name: "Backup.bkf created 10/1/2008 at 4:37 PM"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 10/2/2008 at 1:53 PM.
    Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Music\Various Artists\desktop.ini" - skipped.
    Reason: The device is not connected.

Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Music\Various Artists\Best of Classics for Meditation\01 Symphony No. 6 in F major ('Pastoral') Op. 68- Allegro ma non troppo.mp3" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Music\Various Artists\Best of Classics for Meditation\02 Thais, opera- Meditation.mp3" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "D:\shares\Music\Various Artists\Best of Classics for Meditation\03 Suite bergamasque, for piano, L. 75- Clair de lune.mp3" - skipped.

etc...etc... for all 17,000+ files in the shared folder.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Hello,
    maybe you should check the data disks of your server (logging on via Remote Desktop or locally):
    chkdsk d: /f /r
    and
    chkdsk c:\fs\<drivemountpoint> /f /r

This may take a while, but a message like above may point to issues with one of the disks.
    Can you access the data through the hidden folder DE on d:\ and/or c:\fs\volumemountpoint?
    If yes, copy the data manually to your external drive just to be safe.
    (Enable Show hidden Files and Folders in the folder options on server.)
    Olaf Engelke
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:36 PM
  • do i do this from the dos prompt locally?  what does "drovemountpoint" mean?  i don't us chdsk much so please guide me if possible,  and another thing whenever i access the server pc over the internet the only thing it lets me see is the console is this correct? 
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Hello,
    drive mount points are the folders, which you find in c:\fs. (You can see them in Windows Explorer.
    These represent the disks besides the primary disks - they are "mounted" here.
    Yes, you start chkdsk from a command prompt on your server.
    Execution may require a reboot and will take a while to complete.

That you get only the console provided, if you access the server over the Internet via computers tab , is the behavior by design (which you should only change, if you really know, what you do.)
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:17 PM
  • i ran chkdsk as you instructed and when i run the backup it still get the same error.  is there a way i can see the results of chkdsk?  i started it when i left the office one day so there would not be an issue with anyone needing the server while it was running. 
    Monday, October 6, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Hi,
    Are you sure that chkdsk ran correctly? The server has to be re-booted and can take some hours to complete if there is any amount of data.
    Also note that taking a copy of your system partition will be out of date the next time your server does a backup of a Client, or moves any files. You would have to have a running update of this system copy, if you envisage using that copy to re-instate your server. 
    When you say you used the 'one in system tools', you don't mean NTBackup? This has no knowledge of the WHS drive system, so cannot recognise any of the mounted drives, nor can it tell the difference between tombstones or actual data.
    To backup your backups to another external disk, the easiest way is to use the available Add-In, this also has the option of duplicating your Backup database across WHS disks.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 4:53 PM
  • chkdsk took several hours to run, that's why i ran it while my office was closed.

the server started up after it was done.

i'm using the the back up in accessories>system tool>back-up.  i don't know it this is NTbackup or not that is the only back-up program on my server. 

what and where can i find a program that will back-up my shared files if it's not already installed on my server
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:38 PM
  • That tool is NTBackup. And no, it won't work. To back up your shares, the easiest way is to connect an external drive large enough to hold one or more of them (or all), then use the Windows Home Server console to add the drive as a server backup drive. Back the shares up, then use the console to temporarily remove it. That will let you take it off-site (for example) for safe-keeping.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hello,
    ntbackup will not work properly with the WHS feature set, so it is not recommended to use it.
    After installing Power Pack 1 you find the possibility to back up the server in the console.
    Before you are able to do this, you need to add a disk, but not to the storage pool. There is a new option to select the disk as bacjup drive for your WHS shared folders.

This backup has to be initiated manually via console.
    While the first run does a full backup containing all files in shared folders, subsequent backups rely on the initial backup and store only changed data on the disk.

It is recommended to have multiple external disks for this purpose, so that even in case WHS and the backup disk fail at the same moment the data is still available.
    Olaf
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi,
    OK. The backup program you are using, is part of server 2003 and does not recognise WHS at all.

There is a list of all Add-Ins available for WHS here. Plus the Shared folders backup is included in WHS as of the Power pack release.

Do note that using any of the built-in programs which are part of Server 2003 on your WHS installation can well lead to a completely hosed system unless you know exactly what you are doing. This is the reason that any access to the server should only be done through either the Console, or a suitable Add-In.
    This isn't directed at what you are doing, just that others read these threads, and it's imperative that people understand the possible dangers that exist when accessing the server.

I've used the Add-In for backups, and it does just what it says. There is a Network Health warning that pops up, but thats because it has to stop the services while the backup takes place., so is no great problem.

Good luck,

Colin
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:54 PM
  • ok that clears things up.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 7:25 PM
  • i added the drive to the storage list as a back-up drive.  does the server back up the shared folders on it's own or do i need to copy what i want over to it manually?
    Monday, October 6, 2008 7:38 PM
  • You need to run the shared folders facility manually, there isn't an automatic option as of yet I'm afraid.

( I guess this might well arrive in due course).

Colin
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:04 PM
  • ok it's backing up now thanks everyone.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:19 PM