MSN not indexing or crawling my site RRS feed

• Question

• I have submitted my site to webmasters and everything, but nothing. I only see the non-www version of my homepage which should be the www version. I dont see msnbot crawling my site either.

Please can someone look at it. Am I banned, or am I not following some rule I I overlooked? Please someone. My site is:

http://www.premierresumeandwriting.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:33 AM

Answers

• To increase pages in the index you need to increase your site rank. Even a little increase can help. To do that:

1. Make sure your site is optimized for search
    this includes, but not limited to: page load times, internal link structure, and keywords designed to help us understand the theme of your site. 

2. Make sure you have a decent amount of unique content--content buried in pictures, javascript, flash, etc. will not count. Again, use keywords and supporting words to help us understand the relevency of your site.  

3. Increase your RELEVENT inbound links. Most links from general directories will not help very much unless the directory is a high ranking/authority directory. Good, quality, relevent inbound links from other sites/pages are what you need to concentrate on.

Brett 

Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hello

I have a similar problem, in that the MSN bot doesn't even visit my site.

The only time the bot visits is when it is authenticating at the time I sign in to webmaster tools.

Is there a problem with the MSN bot seeing my site?
    http://www.lakenews.com.au

I have other similar URLs (www.lakenews.net.au, lakenews.net.au, lakenews.com.au), but they are all redirected permanently to the main url www.lakenews.com.au, so as far as I am aware, there should be no problem with duplicate content.

I have tested robots.txt with the webmaster tools tester, and all is ok there.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hi i have been asking the same think on this forums and still not an answer or a possible explanation, I have a site with hundreds of relevant backlinks, good on site optimization and it used to be number 1 for the keyword i am aiming till a month ago.. Now my site is not getting indexed or crawled, my site is not banned and i have followed all the webmaster directions. Why did my site dissapear from the index without a reason? my site tramadol prescription any adivce or comment will be welcome thanks  
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I have the exact same issue.  My website was there one day, and gone the next. (http://www.gamotorcyclerentals.com)  I was on the first page in every keyword search.  This is what MSN sent me. 

Thank you for writing to Live Search Technical Support. My name is Arlene and I understand that your website has disappeared from Live Search. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

The Live Search team continuously updates the algorithms we use to ensure we have the highest quality content in our search results. You will notice over time that your rank, which is relative to all the content we crawl on the Internet, will change. This is natural as other sites modify their content, as new sites are created, and as you modify your content as well.

Most websites can improve their ranking, and subsequently the number of pages we index by reviewing a few best practices. Here is what we suggest:

1. Review our Website Checklist (http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx) to make your site as appealing as possible to search engines (and users!).

2. Enroll in our Webmaster Tools (http://webmaster.live.com/) to check the status of your site and ensure you're not being blocked.

3. Submit your site's URL to our URL Submission Tool (http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx) to ensure we know about it.

4. Check if anyone else has encountered or resolved the same issue in our Crawler & Indexing Forum (http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1984&SiteID=79)

If you have completed all the steps above and your site is still not ranked or indexed, then it may indicate a problem with Live Search. In that case, please reply to this message with a detailed description of your issue, and we will do our best to resolve it.

Improving our search results is our number one priority, and we take your feedback seriously. However, we receive a tremendous volume of feedback and may not be able to address each one personally.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Live Search.

Sincerely,

Arlene

Live Search Technical Support

Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Since I am the original poster of this topic, I would like to begin. I am sure I am all good with the check list, and I just resubmitted my site just incase. But, I would like to know what you (live.com) has to say about

My Website

I would appreciate every little detail and suggestion.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

I'm feeling like you guys. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Google is my friend, crawling my site every day and indexes page after page.

I can't even tell what might be wrong with my site that makes MSN not even have a look, although the site is registered, authenticated, sitemaps submitted on a weekly basis, robots.txt in place etc. etc.

I considered sending a mail to support at MSN but after I read in various forums that you only get a standard copy and paste answer I thought it's not worth while.

If anybody can tell me what I'm doing wrong making the "Gates Keepers" ignoring me, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

Beardy

PS: my site is: http://www.dein-moped.de
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hi Premier,

Your site looks good. I think your issue lies in the amount and quality of your backlinks. The issue with showing the non-www site is probably due to not crawling your site since you added the redirect. If we have, is this a 301 redirect? If we haven't crawled your site for awhile, I suggest submitting an updated sitemap.xml file to our tools. Though it doesn't always work, you stand a good chance of triggering a recrawl.

Brett
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Grisdale and Beardy,

I submitted your site using an internal tool. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling.

Garide,
    I did the same for your site, but I will also take a closer look to see if there is anything else blocking your site.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Hello msn Im new to webmasting but my site http://www.cayaquariums.com hasnt been crawled since december 2008 and i have done the site map and updated my pages alot iv followed all the steps but nothing still can anyone pls help and check it out im not sure what im doinge wrong. 
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Thanks so much.  The webmaster tool is not telling us anything.  My site was there and then gone. 

http://www.gamotorcyclerentals.com
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Brett,

Why is it that you submitted their site with your internal tools, but not mine? I did eveything that was asked to do and nothing. I even went through got about 90% of my pages xhtml 1.0 strict validated. What else is needed from me? Please add me manually too. Thank you.

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Seriously, no body is willing to help, Brett?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Hi Brett,

had one crawler visit the day you wrote the response to me, no page indexed. Since then, nothing.

Best Regards,

Beardy
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:40 PM
  • @Premier,

The submittals are for sites that aren't in the index, so submitting your site to our index would not accomplish anything (as you already have the home page indexed).  I understand it is frustrating, but there isn't a lot I can do other than document and report these crawl issues to the team responsible.

@prstyle247

Has your site been crawled recently? The results returned look the same as what I found in your titles and descriptions.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Brett,

I seem to be having the same issue as the rest on this board.  I have no issues with ggle crawling my site but Live seems to avoid it.  I have not been blocked and I have resubmitted a sitemap.  Any thoughts?

http://www.thebeastreport.com
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Hi, I'm having a similar problem with http://articles.latimes.com/  We have about 800,000 articles and approx 347,000 back links, and I'd like to know what we are doing wrong with Live.com since we only have 65,000 pages in live.com index whereas G and Y both report > 1,000,000.  We have a crawl map that reaches all articles by date, and an XML site map that we update daily.  We are validated in webmaster tools, and I have submitted the site multiple times but the articles have not appeared in the index for the last year.  There must be something wrong!
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Same here:  http://EliasConcreteAndPaving.com

It was there one day, and then gone the next.  It appears in Google just fine.

Validated HTML strict.
    No redirects.
    No search engine ranking games/tricks.
    A simple, simple, simple little site (two pages, total) for a simple little business (construction contractor).
    It's been verified within the Webmaster tools, and indicates no problems nor being blocked.  But it also states that it's never been crawled.

Dear Microsoft,
    As you can see from the posts here, we'll do whatever you require.  Just tell us what you want.  As best I can figure, I've done absolutely 100% of everything you've asked, and yet my client's website is completely invisible to Live searches, weeks after the job is completed.

And I'd like to add:  Why doesn't Microsoft hire more staff for these forums?  Microsoft is one of the wealthiest companies on the face of the earth, surely you can afford it.  And as you know, the economy needs it too, via the increased employment, and reduced waste of time and effort put on webmasters out here.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Hi.
    I seem to be having the same issue.  I have no issues with google crawling my site but Live seems to avoid it.  I have not been blocked and I have resubmitted a sitemap.

http://www.corsiericerca.com
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi.
    I seem to be having the same issue.  I have no issues with google crawling my site but Live seems to avoid it.  I have not been blocked and I have resubmitted a sitemap.

http://www.corsiericerca.com
    Ethan,

I tried entering "corsiericerca" into live.com, and it was first in the list.  So your site is definitely indexed.

But http://EliasConcreteAndPaving.com doesn't exist, at all.

Don
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Ethan,

I tried entering "corsiericerca" into live.com, and it was first in the list.  So your site is definitely indexed.

Don
    Thanks Don.

It's true, but only the homepage is indexed. The other pages are ignored (Last crawled: 10/04/2009 Indexed pages: 1 )

See results: http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site:www.corsiericerca.com

Ethanmase

Monday, April 13, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Well, if nothing else, this experience is giving me a lot of insight to the usefulness of Live.com as a search site, when I'm trying to find a website or local business.  In a word:  Use Google.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Does anyone have any idea why Yahoo and Live are so much slower than Google in adding new sites?  This is a serious question...I would assume that Microsoft and Yahoo are just as tech savvy...it is almost like they do not want to compete and just give the internet to Google.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Cdiangelo,

And apparently it's not just slow at adding new sites, but also very shallow in the the depth that it "crawls".  Even the LA Times is getting less than a 10th of their pages included (see the post about 7 up from this one, by Jay Budzik, and comments from many others in this forum who report the same thing).

As for what the reason behind that is, I haven't a clue.  As you said, surely they have the technical brainpower to do it (and I'll add, plenty of money).  It's like they just don't want to.  Which then raises the question:  Why do it at all, if you aren't going to be competitive?  Maybe they just couldn't care less.  They have their piece of the internet pie (maybe 10% of all searches) and with that they can sell advertising and make money off of it.  Maybe they calculate that to compete with Google would cost them more than it would gain in ad revenue, and so it's not worth the investment to upgrade their system.  And so they'll just continue to poke along, scooping up a bit more profit for the company, but not really seeing much of a future in being a major player in the search engine business.

Problem is that for the rest of humanity, they're effectively taking away 10% of our business, if searches fail to recognize our sites.  For us, it would be better if they didn't exist, and everyone just used Google.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:19 PM
  • I am wondering now if this has  more to do with the number Windows Live Search reports on a site: query.  This is usually an estimation of pages in the index instead of an actual number.  The Windows Live Search webmaster tools says we have many more pages than does a site: query on live.com and spot checks indicate that there are more pages in the index than reported when doing a site: query. 
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:59 AM
  • To increase pages in the index you need to increase your site rank. Even a little increase can help. To do that:

1. Make sure your site is optimized for search
    this includes, but not limited to: page load times, internal link structure, and keywords designed to help us understand the theme of your site. 

2. Make sure you have a decent amount of unique content--content buried in pictures, javascript, flash, etc. will not count. Again, use keywords and supporting words to help us understand the relevency of your site.  

3. Increase your RELEVENT inbound links. Most links from general directories will not help very much unless the directory is a high ranking/authority directory. Good, quality, relevent inbound links from other sites/pages are what you need to concentrate on.

Brett 

• Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Brent,

I didn't previously realize that load-times affect rank.

As for "decent amount of unique content," hopefully a site isn't penalized for being clear and concise in wording and structure.  For instance, I'm currently rebuilding a site which previously had 12 pages, but it was horribly organized, repetitive, a bunch of useless words, etc..  In my rebuilding it's reduced to two (beautiful) pages, but says everything that the previous site did, eloquently and concisely (which takes a lot of work and effort to do, to pare it down like that).  But does this then lead the search engine to 'think' that the site has less content, and therefore rank it lower?

As for inbound links, I think I understand the rationale behind that (and it makes good sense) but at the same time, there are exceptions, where an excellent site has few inbound links.  And conversely, lousy sites with lots of inbound links.  Quantity does not necessarily = quality.  It's a clue, but it's not proof.  Has Microsoft considered paid site review, where, for a fee, Microsoft staff will review, index, and rank your site?  In the final analysis, no automated computer program can adequately assess a site's relevance and quality.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Or, another idea:

Set up a 'web' of independent reviewers:  Anyone can rate sites, and the sites can be rated based on about 3-5 different criteria.  And on top of that, we can rate the reviewers, of how well we agree with their assessments.  These factors can then affect how search results are returned, if we want it to:  The 'weight' we want to give to different criteria, and to the opinions of some reviewers.  I realize that no reviewer can view all sites on the web, but maybe something could be extrapolated or interrelated from these other data.  And a little cottage industry might spring up, of individuals viewing thousands of sites, and eventually developing a reputation, which in turn could be profitable for them.

Or better yet:

We all are site reviewers.  And then when we search Live.com, the rankings provided by others who have similar opinions as ours, affects search results.
    • Edited by Don737373737 Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:51 PM New and improved idea :)
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:26 PM
  • I have done the same as everyone on this forum for my personal website www.tcknight.com .  MSN is only indexing my home page, not crawling the rest and has not ranked my site or any of the keywords. Webmaster tools reflects nothing has been done in two months except when I resubmit my sitemap, they authenticate the site again.  Yahoo gives me the same, except even THEY have found the external sitelinks to my site.  In the meantime, google bots will not stay off my site and my personal site has moved up to number two on their results for certain keywords.

At work, I have 15 employees who use the internet extensively for light research on our Windows XP network.  Based on my experiences here, I have directed them to immediately stop using LiveSearch and add the Google bar on Explorer so that we may find the most current content available.  I also sent an all employees email to the other 541 employees of our agency suggesting they do the same.

I never thought I would learn so much about the usefulness, or uselessness, of search engines by putting up my personal site, but there it is.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:19 PM
  • I have the same problem! My site a pretty good standings in google and yahoo, but bing/ msn has my site not even indexed!?
    The domain name is http://www.gsdfinder.com
    Thanks for any help....
    Juls
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:17 PM