XP The List RRS feed

• General discussion

• Pet Peeves for XP.

I resisted converting for a long time and was happy with my W98 & Linux systems.

Here the problems-

1) What happened to the included back-up program from Windows98?

I found out; restore is a waste when XP crashes. I had to start all over again. Saving the restore file to an external drive was a waste.

2) I Can't run some of my Windows 98 programs.  

3) Today I got nailed with a blue screen and the automatic shut down. Guess who was the culprit. It was Windows Update. This brings me to the problem #4.

4) I restored the files that I was working on and then UPDATE insisted that I shut down my computer to install. I was not given an option. I had to close some things down quickly but I lost a lot of the web searches that I had going on. Then it wouldn't shut down, so I pulled the plug (not literally).

5) Automatic update is now shut off. I lost at least an hours work between problem 3&4 and would have lost more if I didn't stop the automatic boot scan, that I can't seem to get rid of. Which bring me to number 6.

6) Why can't XP shut down without hanging? You can't just leave it because it does not always shut down. 

7) Why does Windows always connect secretly and constantly to Microsoft? I installed a real firewall and found that XP doesn't function when you block it from connecting. I don't really need an answer to this question as I will never trust this operating system and store personal information, do online banking etc..., until I can unwind this web of spyware that they installed.

8) Why is autoplay made to be so iritating? Every time I change a USB port, I have to go and reset everything to stop it from copying files.

5 months of problems and nothing is improved over 98SE, in fact it doesn't even approach 98. I only upgraded to use Outlook. I don't want to share music and pictures. I don't want to chat. I don't want to IM.  I WANT TO GET MY WORK DONE!!!!!

9) Should I move to VISTA?  lol

10) Based on the replies that I see from the obvious group of MS employees, what response should I expect? XP is great and Vista is great. You should pay us for some customer support to teach you how wonderful we are or just the standard denials that anything is wrong. 

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 11:35 PM

All replies

• Questions regarding Windows XP can best be addressed by posting your inquiry in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Yeah! And after that long and clear complaint about your problems, you get sent a link to f*** off elsewhere and find out yourself. Typical.And from a voluntary person - I thought it says "talk to Microsoft" - well who is going to answer us and take some responsibility? I wouldn't expect the volunteer to do it as they are not paid by Microsoft. So what is their function then?Is all this Genuine Advantage (I laugh) the end of Microsoft as we know it? A victim of it's own greed. So if say 70% of all home users are using non-genuine versions, then they will go elsewhere and businesses will soon follow. Haven't Microsoft made enough money already?My laptop which I paid $2100 for 3 years ago died of a virus (yeah Windows firewall etc - joke) and so I had to re install everything myself using my sons windows on his PC. Am I a pirate now? I bought his computer for him at a cost of $800 - so I paid a total of $3000 and Microsoft want another $200 as my licence does not match my machine (which I got both from Hewlett Packard). Is this fair? And what about HP are they now branded as pirates and unsafe for Microsoft to do business with? I feel some serious law suits coming on if Microsoft keep this up.Send an update now and erase all this nonsense validation balls. It is not helping anyone especially Microsoft and adding ammunitiion to its rivals cause.No wonder they won't employ anyone to deal with this.Terry507
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:11 AM
  • >> Why does Windows always connect secretly and constantly to Microsoft? I installed a real firewall and found that XP doesn't function when you block it from connecting. <<

The folks at Groklaw may have explained it pretty well last year:

You have been given a vision of the future, where software will be a service, and all you get is a license to use it the way they allow you to use it. How do you like Microsoft’s Brave New World?

Surely they will find a way to check that you are complying with all the above, so I think it’s clear that if you stay with Microsoft products, you have to agree to share your computer with them, that your privacy will be in their hands, and that they can control your computer without your say so. And they won’t necessarily tell you clearly what they are doing, judging by this incident, or perhaps there will be no notice at all, as mentioned in the EULA. It’s not about you buying a product and using it any way you wish. They let you use their software only within strict limitations they set which by the way do not conform to your rights under copyright law. This is a license, a kind of contract, whereby you waive rights you would otherwise have in order to use their software. And you are presented with a EULA at least one paralegal can’t even understand, too late to say no in a meaningful way.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060608002958907

http://web.archive.org/web/20060518123848/linuxadvocate.org/articles.php?p=1

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:43 PM