Failiing server backups and remove "Ghost-HDDs" after migrating the OS-Partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo,

due to an expected HDD-failure of all my 3 HDDs (RAID5) I preemptively moved the OS-partition by the disk2vhd-/ and vhd2disk-tools to a new RAID5-set of HDDs. Since then the backup of the server keeps failing. I guess the reason is that there are open vhd-snapshots which are visible in the Disk Management snap-in. When I try to remove the VHD-file I get the error: "element not found", but the file where the vhd points to really exists on the backup-volume.

Backups of clients are running perfectly, so this is probably not an issue of a corrupted backup database. right now i'm running a checkdisk to all the volumes the server has. But i expect everything to be normal. Websearch did not give any useful hints, so I hope you have some for me :-)

thanks in advance!

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:46 PM

Answers

• found a workaround, unfortunately with a big disadvantage, which is that you have to discard all of your backups: simply disable all backups, format the backup disc an configure the backups again.
    • Marked as answer by Besieger Friday, September 6, 2013 9:26 AM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 9:26 AM

All replies

• If you have a current backup of your server, a bare metal restore from a full backup is the supported method of migrating to a new disk. Using the tools you did isn't supported for Windows Home Server, and the results are not guaranteed to be functional.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Hallo,

thanks for your reply! sounds you are right, but where is the difference between the VHD from the backup tool and the VHD i created? I guess you agree that tools written by Mark Russinovich like disk2vhd can be considered trustworthy ;-)

Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:32 PM
  • found a workaround, unfortunately with a big disadvantage, which is that you have to discard all of your backups: simply disable all backups, format the backup disc an configure the backups again.
    • Marked as answer by Besieger Friday, September 6, 2013 9:26 AM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 9:26 AM