Lost Startup hold items after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• After cleaning out all old backups, I ran backup several times and received errors every time. Then  OneCare kept closing as soon as computer was restarted. I also lost my network connection on restart and had to reinitiate it.

I uninstalled OneCare beta 2.0 and reinstalled it.

It seems to be working ok, but I haven't done anything yet either.

My question is, where can I find my startup items I had previously checked not to start. They are not on the list anymore. There are only a couple I remember and I can move those to start up, but there were about 10 items I don't recall. Is there a list or are they in a folder somewhere?

Also it would be nice when doing the beta's, if you could either not put the subscription bar in place or put something to make it go away.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 3:24 PM

Answers

• Sorry to read of the problems you encountered. Following a reinstall, the previous settings will be lost as they are overwritten. The list will rebuild as OneCare learns about your system again.

Thanks for the feedback on the subscription information.

-steve

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry to read of the problems you encountered. Following a reinstall, the previous settings will be lost as they are overwritten. The list will rebuild as OneCare learns about your system again.

Thanks for the feedback on the subscription information.

-steve

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:47 PM
  • I had about 10 items checked to be turned off in start up cleaner before program crash and would not restart. I don't know what some of them were. Some have a simple way to make the load at start up. Others I can't figure out how. Please make a backup some way to retreive these in the event of a failure.

I can't figure out how to get ATI to load on start up. Any ideas.

I can start control center and it is there, but normally ATI started without control center and only the Icon was in systray.

I see nothing in System services.

Any help please.

Thanks,

Duane

Monday, September 10, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Typically, you should be able to find an option in the ATI software (and other software) to load on startup. You may also want to run msconfig from Start/Run in XP or typed into the Vista search box. In msconfig, go to the startup tab and view any unchecked items.

-steve

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:49 PM
  • All the msconfig boxes were checked. Normal startup was checked.

ATI has load on start up for Launchpad (shortcut bar), but not for the program. The program is supposed to run all the time.

There was something in Services called ATI SMART, but when started, it stopped immediately. I think it is to check for something though. It is in the same state after repair.

I did a repair on ATI Catalyst Control Center, and now It is working again. The main thing I wanted was my Systray icon back for all the shortcuts in it. (Plus I like everything to work right)

I talked to tech support and they were going to pass on a suggestion to make a list or somehow retain unchecked startup items in case of failure. I know I will make a list from now on, but I'm still not sure how to start or repair some items if the whole start up file is missing. Many programs are made to run all the time and have no easy way to repair a startup failure short of reinstall.

Does OneCare just uncheck startup items in msconfig? I could do that, but there needs to be more info about what is affected.

Thanks,

Duane

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Glad you got the ATI issue sorted, Duane.

And, good question about what OneCare does. I suspect that it is more than just unticking an entry in MSconfig. It may actually be something it does in the registry. Since this topic folder is generally kind of quiet, hopefully the Program Manager for this feature will pop in again to reply.

-steve

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Hi Duane,

Steve is right, we directly modify the registry entries and the startup folder locations. Hence unfortunately you cannot use msconfig to re-enable the items once you have uninstalled the product. This is a feature that was considered, but did not make it into this release. There are a few reasons for it, main one being - we detect more items than msconfig (thought we decide not to show things like services) and hence cannot rely on msconfig alone for renabling them after uninstall.

However, if you think this is a big issue, please file a bug/suggestion on the windows connect site, and we might be able to come up with a tool that you can run to re-enable all your startup items prior to uninstall.

Note that by design, we only prompt users to disable items that they do not use. That way, we typically avoid people disabling something they want/use.

thanks,

-Vikram.

Sr. Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare.

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:54 PM