OK i am finally interesed in Vail but -- RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mostly hardware question and I do not want to start a technical DE versus Non DE discussion:

My WHS computer is a home built Intel 775 Quad core PC and 8GB ram with 2 Seagate ST3500410S 500GB hard drives for storage and a 80 GB Operating system disk. I also have a 250 GB EXT SATA which is only turned on for weekly backups.

What will the Server appear as a 1 TB as it does now or will I be back to 2 500 GB drives for storage.

What will happen when I backup my server. Will it back up and be a usable backup as had happened once in the past to me? Will  I still have usable desktop backups?

I like my WHS server with the 2 drives operating as on but will that occur with Vail as I understand it. I could run with only one drive but will have to be careful with how many more CD's or Movies I put on it. I have not tried Vail but have just downloaded it to try on a PC with a 1 TB hard drive in it.

Emmett

Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:03 PM

Answers

• Bob

Thanks for the answers.

I did get vail running but it will force me to uninstall the connector software on my wife's PC as Vail is complaining. I need her PC backed up even more so than mine. I may not be able to fully test Vail as I am unwilling to make changes to my wife's PC with out listening to her complain about the changes. I may have to get a forth PC in this house to be able to test Vail (at least that will be my excuse for a laptop to her).

Emmett

Emmett
    • Marked as answer by Emmett Chapman Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:55 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:55 AM

All replies

• I installed WHS2011 in VMware on a 160GB drive.

It made a system partition C: of 60GB and a data partition D: of 100GB

I didn't add any drives yet, but reading around on this forum and on WGS i asume that all drives added will show up as an extra drive just as it would on a "normal" PC. You will have the possibility to move shared folders to another drive to expand your system.

This f.i. gives you the possibility to move the "client computer backups" folder to a separate drive.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:43 PM
  • >I didn't add any drives yet, but reading around on this forum and on WGS i asume that all drives added will show up as an extra drive just as it would on a "normal" PC. You will have the possibility to move shared folders to another drive to expand your system.

Under Hyper-V, adding SCSI drives didn't trigger the dashboard to ask
    me to add drives, I had to remote in to the server and use the normal
    "Computer management" Disk admin to add the drives.  I think this is a
    bug because it should have shown up in dashboard according to the
    docs.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Yep, you'r right Bob,

Just tried it. Added a 100gb drive that didn't show up in the dashboard untill after I used the "Computer management" to add and format it. Maybe it's a glich that only shows in a virtual machine. Will try on "real" hardware later this week.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Thank You both.

So I will now be back to using a c: and d: drive Old hat but usable.

So I will be able to put certain folders on certain drives as I understand this so far?

Will I be able  to have certain folders on certain drives I should be able to move files to a larger drive and then just remove the smaller drive I assume? ( I hate that word because of the first 3 letters).

I am just putting Vail on a drive in my usual PC. Will it get along with WHS V1 or will I find pri vs sec server problems?

Thanks

Emmett

Emmett
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:10 PM
  • >Maybe it's a glich that only shows in a virtual machine. Will try on "real" hardware later this week.

That's definitely possible.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:06 AM
  • >So I will be able to put certain folders on certain drives as I understand this so far?
    >
    >Will I be able  to have certain folders on certain drives I should be able to move files to a larger drive and then just remove the smaller drive I assume? ( I hate that word because of the first 3 letters).

Yep.

>I am just putting Vail on a drive in my usual PC. Will it get along with WHS V1 or will I find pri vs sec server problems?

I'm running it on the same LAN with no difficulties.  I doubt if you
    can have a PC with both connectors installed though.

• Marked as answer by Emmett Chapman Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Emmett Chapman Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:46 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Bob

Thanks for the answers.

I did get vail running but it will force me to uninstall the connector software on my wife's PC as Vail is complaining. I need her PC backed up even more so than mine. I may not be able to fully test Vail as I am unwilling to make changes to my wife's PC with out listening to her complain about the changes. I may have to get a forth PC in this house to be able to test Vail (at least that will be my excuse for a laptop to her).

Emmett

Emmett
    • Marked as answer by Emmett Chapman Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:55 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:55 AM