Moving CRM to another domain - Restore or Import Organization RRS feed

• Question

• I've been asked to look at moving CRM to another domain. In the first domain only 1 server is used but in the second domain, SQL will be on a separate server.

The users who connect to CRM in the first domain already have their user accounts in the second domain and I've been asked whether this means that because the User GUIDS aren't going to change whether it is possible to just restore the Database on to a server in the second domain and then install CRM on the new server and select 'connect to existing deployment' and browse to the new SQL server.

I don't think this is possible and that it will actually be necessary to install CRM on the new application server first and then import a new organization. Could someone help by confirming whether I am right and if so some reasons why I am right. 

Many Thanks,

Steve

Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible and below article guides you through the rest of the steps,

Cheers, Edwin
    Monday, February 7, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your reply Edwin.

I'd read the article and it says that if you are moving to another domain you have to import a new organization through Deployment manager. Have I misunderstood something is the only point of importing a new organization rather than doing a restore because the User guids would normally be different?

Regards,

Steve

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:57 AM
  • The Import Organization Wizard provides the following functionality with regard to the import process:
    • You can use the Import Organization Wizard to import an organization from any domain within the Active Directory forest.
    • When you import an organization, you must select an existing Microsoft Dynamics CRM database. Previous versions of Microsoft Dynamics CRM databases are not supported.
    • The Import Organization Wizard provides the ability to map all Active Directory Microsoft Dynamics CRM users from the source installation to valid Active Directory users in the new Microsoft Dynamics CRM installation.
    • After Microsoft Dynamics CRM users are mapped from one installation to another, the Import Organization Wizard replaces all instances of user GUIDs that were copied from the source installation with the correct user GUIDs in the new installation.
    • After Microsoft CRM users are mapped from the source installation to the new installation, the Import Organization Wizard updates all primary and foreign keys in the imported Microsoft Dynamics CRM database so that these primary and foreign keys use the correct GUIDs for users in the new installation.

Cheers, Edwin
    • Proposed as answer by Khaja Mohiddin Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:10 PM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:20 AM