none
When using remote Debugger tool as well as from my local machine, breakpoint is not hitting

Question

• In my current machine I have Visual Studio 2017(Windows 10 Pro), I tried to use Remote Debugger tool in my Remote machine (Windows 7 Pro) I installed x64 Remote Debugger Tool in my Remote machine. I could able to debug the remote machine .exe file, now the concern is both from the remote application as well as the code from my machine, breakpoint doesn't hit, the reason is it shows "PDB Symbol reader could not be loaded"(for the files exe,mscorlib.dll,System.Core.dll,System.dll,System.Xml.Linq.dll,System.Xml.dll,Microsoft.Csharp.dll,System.Configuration.dll,System.Dynamic.dll manually tired to load the files but i could not able to see any files, even though I could able to see the PDB files in the bin folder. Almost tried all the options. Please let me know how to solve this issue. Thanks in Advance.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Both the PC is 64 bit processor, its in C#.

I tried all the steps even the link u mentioned.

Resolved by Uninstalling the Visual Studio and installed again.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Vanitha Loganathan,

As you said that you debug your app remotely, if so, where did you load the symbols in your side,local machine or remote machine?

Could you load them in modules window locally during debugging mode?

Please also enable the symbols servers in your VS IDE(Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols).

Please also disable the option "Require source files to exactly match the original version" under TOOLS->Options->Debugging->General.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:32 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I copied the pdb file generated from my application which is in bin\Debug folder into remote machine where I pasted my exe. In my case both from the remote as well as from the local breakpoint doesn't hit, it says "PDB symbol reader could not be loaded", when I manually tried to add the pdb file it says "matching symbol file was not found in this folder".

since pdb file is not loaded for all the other dll's like System.dll,System.Core.dll etc getting the same pdb symbol reader could not be loaded message.(from debug-->windows-->modules)

I tried the below steps, nothing seems to be work.

1. Clean, Build the solution, deleted Temp file and tried

2. Debug --> Properties --> Build --> Advanced --> Debugging Information full

3. Debug-->Options --> Debugging --> General--> Unchecked (Enable Just My Code, Require Source files to exactly match the original version)

4. Debug --> Options -->  Debugging --> Symbol --> checked Micorsoft Symbol Servers, even tried by deleting Empty Symbol Cache

5. Debug --> Attach to Process --> Attach to : Automatic :Native code

6. After clicking F5, opened Debug -->Windows --> Modules --> Tried to manually load the pdb file present in obj,bin folder of windows application, for both got "matching symbol file was not found in this folder"

7. Restart the Visual studio 2017 from IDE

8. Restarted remote machine after installing Remote Debugger tool, installed correct version(x64 since the remote pc is 64 bit processor)

Still facing the same issue, no luck :(

Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Hi Vanitha Loganathan,

Could you share me the detailed version information for your two machines, 64 bit or 32 bit?

Which kind of app did you really debugging, VC++, C# or others?

Based on the error message, it means that the symbols were not matched.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ba905bbe-c15a-4f53-9899-ee1b367196e5/a-matching-symbol-file-was-not-found-in-this-folder?forum=vbgeneral

Can you check it using the SymChk tools as Kareninstructor's suggestion?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:28 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Both the PC is 64 bit processor, its in C#.

I tried all the steps even the link u mentioned.

Resolved by Uninstalling the Visual Studio and installed again.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:00 PM