none
Synchronizing with files RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app where the server uses SQL Server and the client uses Sql Ce, but some of the clients are on a satellite connection that does not actually expose a regular internet connection.  To limit the amount of bandwidth used the only way to transfer data is by placing text files in a specific folder.  So if I create the file on the client it will appear on the server and vice versa.  Can I customize the sync framework to write changes to a file and then read them in on the other side.  Does anyone know how I would even begin to implement this?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:23 PM

Answers

• Since you have SQL Server and SQL CE, you would need to use the out of box database providers for ease of use. However they talk in datasets - meaning rows and columns of tables. They do not talk files. I also am not sure how the placing of files is in relation to the databases really - unless of course you mean the changes from the SQL Server are searilized to a file, and then SyncFx moves these files to the client and on the client you read back tables. Why not just use the providers avaialble that already talk in terms of rows and columns?
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:25 AM