MCSE RRS feed

• Question

• I am legally blind and have an opportunity to work as an independent contractor for the Department of Veterans Affairs, Visual Impairment Services Team.  The work entails installing computers with assistive technoligy and software for blind and legally blind veterans.

So that I can provide the highest level of service to the client base, I want to get the training and certifications to meet the client base needs.  These include interent connection from dial-up through DSL and Home/work networks.

I have extensive 'User' experience with Microsoft Products including IEx, MSOffice, etc.

I believe the Certification I need, to best serve the client base, is MCSE.  However, my initial research demonstrates that this may not be the case.

Please advise me as to the best Certification for my purposes.  Please include Exam numbers and training resources.

Thank you

Kelly R Piercy
    semperfidelas@gmail.com
    Monday, June 9, 2008 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hello.

If I understand correctly you are mainly going to work with XP / Vista clients and not as much with the server side technology?

In that case I advice you to take the client certifications and see if you feel you lack any knowledge after that, because studying server technology when you are going to work with clients is not really needed. Some of them offer great network experience though, but depending on the size of the networks you will administrate I doubt you really need them.

I would recommend the following certifications

MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) requiring:

Exam 70-271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System
    Exam 70-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System

When this is completed, increase your knowledge about vista with the following certifications

Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Enterprise Support Technician

Exam 70-620: Windows Vista, Configuring
    Exam 70-622: Supporting and Troubleshooting Applications on a Windows Vista Client for Enterprise Support Technicians

This will also award you the MCTS: Windows Vista – Configuration certification.

Best of luck to you!
    - Axel Aubert

• Proposed as answer by Methras Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:01 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Or if you would like to to both tracks you can do it with 3 exams.

If you take 70-271, 70-272 and 70-621 you will obtain the MCDST (Windows XP Professional), MCTS: Windows Vista and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:02 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello.

If I understand correctly you are mainly going to work with XP / Vista clients and not as much with the server side technology?

In that case I advice you to take the client certifications and see if you feel you lack any knowledge after that, because studying server technology when you are going to work with clients is not really needed. Some of them offer great network experience though, but depending on the size of the networks you will administrate I doubt you really need them.

I would recommend the following certifications

MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) requiring:

Exam 70-271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System
    Exam 70-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System

When this is completed, increase your knowledge about vista with the following certifications

Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Enterprise Support Technician

Exam 70-620: Windows Vista, Configuring
    Exam 70-622: Supporting and Troubleshooting Applications on a Windows Vista Client for Enterprise Support Technicians

This will also award you the MCTS: Windows Vista – Configuration certification.

Best of luck to you!
    - Axel Aubert

• Proposed as answer by Methras Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:01 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Or if you would like to to both tracks you can do it with 3 exams.

If you take 70-271, 70-272 and 70-621 you will obtain the MCDST (Windows XP Professional), MCTS: Windows Vista and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

Stephen Charles Rea [MCT] askthemct.com
    • Marked as answer by .revEditor Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:02 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:02 PM
    Answerer