none
Rules and guidelines for forum posting

Question

• Are there any official rules or guidelines for people to follow when posting to the Technet and MSDN forums?  In particular, what I find inappropriate is:

1. Links in posts to the poster's website/s.

2. Solicitations for paid remote assistance.

3. Discussion of 3rd party products.

4. Posters airing their political or lifestyle beliefs.

I also think that links to web pages for reference purposes should be kept as far as possible to the *.microsoft.com domain.

Question:  Are we allowed to put adverts and links to our web-sites in our posts?  I see this is a growing trend.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

• Edited by Bigteddy Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:36 AM New idea
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• "Bump"

Are we allowed to put advert in our posts?  Is there an official document that sets out rules and guidelines for posting to Technet or MSDN?

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:29 AM
  • If that is what it takes to get something more original in your footer, then, please do.

PS.  Two spaces after a period.

Good point.  That tag line was a bit lame.  But, with all due respect, are you in a position to answer my question about spamming authoritively?  Are you a moderator, or forum owner?

Please tell me by what authority you give me permission to put adverts in my tag line.

• Edited by Bigteddy Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:52 AM Typos
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:29 AM
  • I don't know who you are referring to as 'he'.  My question is not aimed at anyone in particular.  I am simply asking for some guidelines.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:34 AM
  • These are all good questions. There's a set of documentation about this on TN Wiki (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/moderating-microsoft-forums.aspx).

The answer to your question is "No and Yes". Advertisments... no. Links to your own site or blog where you do your thing... yes. However, the lines might blur, and thus it is often treated in a case-by-case basis. Often it's just a matter of discussing it with folks.

And there's nothing wrong with your footer. =^)

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:03 AM
  • 2 and 4 I'd say a definite no. 1 and 3 should be OK, IMHO, if they help with the original question. I also don't like being restricted as what sites to quote, although I know that the preference is to link in the microsoft.com domain.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Yes, I agree that 1 and 3 are a wee bit draconian.  I was being over-zealous.  As Ed says, these issues can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

By the way, Naomi, I like your tag-line!

([string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578846355658268").substring(($_*2),2))})).replace(' ','')
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:32 AM