Outlook Object Model's Restrict Method and 'Categories' filter RRS feed

• Question

• We have been partnering with another Gold Partner to provide a solution, which integrates between Outlook and the other partner’s product. The partner product is a resource management and scheduling system. The integration is a bespoke which pulls the schedule information from the partner product and injects it into the agent’ Outlook calendar through shared access, i.e. the integration product runs under a Windows user which has full access to the agent’s calendar via Exchange’s System Manager. The customer is using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.

The integration product uses the Outlook Object Model to achieve the synchronization. The solution works correctly within our test environment but fails when deployed and run in our customer’s environment. The customer is based in Norway, while we are based in the UK.

The exception occurs when our product tries to locate and delete existing appointments within the agent’s calendar and is as follows:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x90720009): Egenskapen Categories i betingelsen er ikke gyldig.

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ItemsClass.Restrict(String Filter)

at BusinessAgility.Teleopti.CCC.Plugins.CalSync.Calendar.Calendars.OutlookCalendar.DeleteEntries(EntryFilter filter)

I have been informed the above error message translates to “The property Categories in condition is not available”
    or something similar.

The filter string being passed to the Restrict method is:

[Start] >= '1/23/2009 12:00 AM' and [End] <= '2/20/2009 12:00 AM' and [Categories] = 'Teleopti'

I have been unable to find anything on Knowledge base or MSDN regarding this error.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Peter Richards

• Moved by nobugz Monday, January 26, 2009 11:08 AM not a clr q (Moved from Common Language Runtime to Where is the Forum For…?)
    • Moved by nobugz Monday, January 26, 2009 11:09 AM not a clr q (Moved from Common Language Runtime to Where is the Forum For…?)
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't know Norwegian but know enough languages in the Low Germanic language group to recognize "gyldig" as "valid".  When you get an error message that says ""Categories" not valid in condition" on a query that has "Categories" in a filter clause, you ought to have an idea what the problem is.  Please use this forum only to ask questions about the CLR.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hi Hans,

Actually, no I don't know the cause. I have not seen the error before and there seems to be little or no help on the internet. Please could you advise which forum would be more suited for this question?

Why would an Outlook appointment be saying that the "Categories" field is not available? In all the programming examples provided by Microsoft, on MSDN or otherwise, show "Categories", does this name change under different languages?

Pete

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

1) Let me know do we get the error where you have Outlook 2003 & Exchange Server 2003 in the same machine?

If answer is Yes, please dont try this. It's not supported by Microsoft. For more information you can refer supporting KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313889. If you're interested to know, why this is not supported, then you can refer Steve's blog on this: http://blogs.msdn.com/stephen_griffin/archive/2004/07/03/172257.aspx

If answer is No, please make sure, that you don't run this application as Windows Service or Scheduled task.

Let me know whether this helps you?

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT}
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:25 PM