Message the HD Has Failed But... RRS feed

• Question

• The last two days when i have come home from work there has been a message from WHS on my desktop saying my brand new Maxtor USB 320GB USB HD connected to WHS has failed.  However when I go into the WHS console, the only issues there are that my notebook has not been backed up for several days and that the other desktop does not have the current virus definitions.  When I go into the Sevrver Storage tab it tell me all the disks are healthy with 63% free space.  I also checked the WHS Manage utility and it also indicated the HDs are OK. 

Yesterday updates were applied to WHS and the updates rebooted it.  At that time I assumed that caused the error.  I am not sure what triggered it today.  I don't think this error was displayed on the other desktop connected to the server because my wife would have noticed it. Both desktops are dual boot XP/Vista but have been in XP the last few days. 

The server is RC1 running an Athlon 2000XP with 512MB RAM.  The primary HD is an 80GB IDE and there is also an internal 60GB IDE drive.  The Maxtor is running off a PCI USB 2 card.  I ran TalQ on the server the the # is 356793305.

Walter

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:12 PM

All replies

• Try searching in the system event logs for any drive errors. I had this same sort of behaviour but it was accompanied by a ton of disk error events in the log.

Another issue I have seen had to do with an external USB drive that I have. I got a message on the server desktop that it was no longer hooked up to a USB 2.0 port. Next thing I knew, it was showing up as "missing" in the console application. A reboot made it go away but I have no idea what might have caused it to begin with.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:57 PM
  •  Walter Wood wrote:

The last two days when i have come home from work there has been a message from WHS on my desktop saying my brand new Maxtor USB 320GB USB HD connected to WHS has failed.  However when I go into the WHS console, the only issues there are that my notebook has not been backed up for several days and that the other desktop does not have the current virus definitions.  When I go into the Sevrver Storage tab it tell me all the disks are healthy with 63% free space.  I also checked the WHS Manage utility and it also indicated the HDs are OK. 

Yesterday updates were applied to WHS and the updates rebooted it.  At that time I assumed that caused the error.  I am not sure what triggered it today.  I don't think this error was displayed on the other desktop connected to the server because my wife would have noticed it. Both desktops are dual boot XP/Vista but have been in XP the last few days. 

The server is RC1 running an Athlon 2000XP with 512MB RAM.  The primary HD is an 80GB IDE and there is also an internal 60GB IDE drive.  The Maxtor is running off a PCI USB 2 card.  I ran TalQ on the server the the # is 356793305.

Walter

I had the same problem as well. At first I thought it was the power saving settings for the USB port (which can be changed in device manager) but after removing any "power off" functions, it still causes the same problem. It is almost like the server loses connection to the USB drives, and the restores them.

I have started to ignore the error because I know it will eventually go away.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:15 PM