none
reinstall connector many times, many ways RRS feed

• Question

• I log in my Vista ultimate machine and get the warning to "there is a connector upgrade available.  Vista-DS.  I click on it and download the software. It uninstalls and reinstalls.  I set the settings and finish.  Next thing on the bottom right is a connector upgrade warning.  Repeat 5-10 times.  I have installed directly from the share folders.  Copied the share to my drive and installed.  Help. 
    The connector date is 10/31/08
    New to WHS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

• Interesting thing happened last night.  My system did a auto backup at 1:00 am.  When I checked on it this morning I didnt get the connector warning.   So for who knows why, it is a happy server again.  Olaf, I also tried all those things.  I only mapped it to try and copy the file names and date.

New to WHS
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• Mark Shaheen said:

I log in my Vista ultimate machine and get the warning to "there is a connector upgrade available.  Vista-DS.  I click on it and download the software. It uninstalls and reinstalls.  I set the settings and finish.  Next thing on the bottom right is a connector upgrade warning.  Repeat 5-10 times.  I have installed directly from the share folders.  Copied the share to my drive and installed.  Help. 
    The connector date is 10/31/08

New to WHS

Have you tried manually uninstalling it, rebooting your client, then installing it again?  What do the component numbers say (Settings button, Resources tab)?  Did you ever move the files from their normal location (\\server\software\home server connector software)?  Can you provide a list of all files in that folder and subfolders (including the date modified for each one)?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I am open to doing all of that.  I looked for the connector sortware in programs and could not find it.  So not sure how to un-install.  
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

I have had the server for quite awhile but about a week ago installed 4 gig drivers and did a complete fresh install.  No software has been moved.  I have also tried repair with no success.
    What is the easiest way to get the folder info, or do I need to type it all in?

Home Server Connector Software
    Autorun 7/10/2008 5:45PM
    Install 10/16/08 12:12PM
    Setup  7/12/08 2:30PM
    WHS_connectorHelp   7/1/08 8:08PM
    WHSConnector  10/31/08 10:00 AM
    WHSConnector_x64  10/31/08 10:00 AM
    WHSConnectorInstall  7/12/08  2:30PM
    WHSVersionUpgrade.dll  7/12/08  2:30PM
    WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll  7/12/08  4:07PM

Folders
    DOTNETFX20
    oem
    WindowsInstaller31

New to WHS

Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Mark Shaheen said:

I am open to doing all of that.  I looked for the connector sortware in programs and could not find it.  So not sure how to un-install.

You should have a listing in Control Panel > Programs called Windows Home Server Connector.  If you don't see that as a program that you can uninstall, that might be your problem.

Good, that's the latest version.

I have had the server for quit awhile but about a week ago installed 4 gig drivers and did a complete fresh install.  No software has been moved.

New to WHS

I would just click Rename on each file, copy the text (ctrl-v), then paste it back here. :)

The other way involves logging into the server and typing some commands.  First type:

D:

Then type:

dir D:\shares\software\homese~1 >c:\log.txt

That will create a file on the C drive called log.txt.  It will have the directory output from the folder.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:23 PM
  •  

I am open to doing all of that.  I looked for the connector sortware in programs and could not find it.  So not sure how to un-install.  

I have had the server for quite awhile but about a week ago installed 4 gig drivers and did a complete fresh install.  No software has been moved.  I have also tried repair with no success.

Home Server Connector Software
    Autorun 7/10/2008 5:45PM
    Install 10/16/08 12:12PM
    Setup  7/12/08 2:30PM
    WHS_connectorHelp   7/1/08 8:08PM
    WHSConnector  10/31/08 10:00 AM
    WHSConnector_x64  10/31/08 10:00 AM
    WHSConnectorInstall  7/12/08  2:30PM
    WHSVersionUpgrade.dll  7/12/08  2:30PM
    WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll  7/12/08  4:07PM

Folders
    DOTNETFX20
    dotnetchk  9/23/2005  7:53 AM
    dotnetfx  11/16/08 12:25 PM

oem
    EULA  10/16/07 12:12PM
    HPMSS_Userguide  10/16/07 12:12PM
    oem  7/10/08  6:57PM
    oem_x64  7/10/08 6:57 PM
    trying to do folder HPU now

WindowsInstaller31 
    WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86  4/25/2006  3:07 PM

New to WHS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:28 PM
  • I am new to vista and dont see the run tab to log in.  How do you do it with Vista?  Sorry.  If it would help and you dont mind, I am happy to share a phone number with you or call.  IM?
    New to WHS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Mark Shaheen said:

I am new to vista and dont see the run tab to log in.  How do you do it with Vista?

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Run.

Mark Shaheen said:

Sorry.  If it would help and you dont mind, I am happy to share a phone number with you or call.  IM?

New to WHS

Did you happen to find Windows Home Server Connector under Uninstall a Program?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Well found the program and uninstalled.  Rebooted, then reinstalled the program.  It pulled the program from the server and told me it had to uninstall it.  I went through it again.  Once it was complete it gave me the monitor... connector available for install. 

I maped the drive to Z and when hitting RUN it closes the run window and opens explorer..  Not getting anything copied to C:
    New to WHS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Mark Shaheen said:

Well found the program and uninstalled.  Rebooted, then reinstalled the program.  It pulled the program from the server and told me it had to uninstall it.  I went through it again.  Once it was complete it gave me the monitor... connector available for install. 

I maped the drive to Z and when hitting RUN it closes the run window and opens explorer..  Not getting anything copied to C:

New to WHS

Are you an administrator on the Vista PC?  Do you have any other computers to connect to the server (to see if they work)?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:01 PM
  • I am the only one on this computer and have admin rights.  We have one other vista premium computer that had this issue.  My son uninstalled the console and reinstalled everything and the message went away.  I have tried that to no success.

New to WHS
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Mark Shaheen said:

Well found the program and uninstalled.  Rebooted, then reinstalled the program.  It pulled the program from the server and told me it had to uninstall it.  I went through it again.  Once it was complete it gave me the monitor... connector available for install. 

mapping to z: may be a reason for setup not working correctly.
    Either directly access the share with Start/Run \\server\software\Home Server Connector software and run setup.exe from here (Win+R key combo brings also up the run dialog; eventually right click setup.exe and select Run as Administrator) or download from http://server:55000 and attempt install from there.

Is there any security software active on the client? You might try to disable this temporary.
    Do you see any related errors in the event log of the client?
    Try also a reboot of the server, if not already done.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Interesting thing happened last night.  My system did a auto backup at 1:00 am.  When I checked on it this morning I didnt get the connector warning.   So for who knows why, it is a happy server again.  Olaf, I also tried all those things.  I only mapped it to try and copy the file names and date.

New to WHS
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:03 PM