Upgrading computers & domain, but still use WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of computers here at work, some Win7 and some Vista, and I am looking at upgrading everything to Win7 Pro or Ultimate, and then installing a Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server and putting all the computers on a domain.

1. Currently, I have a WHS v1 server doing client backups. Will the association between the workstations and the WHS server affect them being put on a domain? Will a WHS v1 server or the 2008 DC sitting on the same network have any problems with each other?

2. WHS v1 cannot be a DC or be a member of a domain. Will Vail be capable of being a member of a domain? I want the Enterprise server for a couple of it's capabilities, and I want the workstation backup capability that WHS gives me, but it would be nice to have the WHS using the accounts and security set up by the DC (you know, one ring to rule them all? I mean server! One server to run everything.) Is there any version of WHS that will work on a 2008 R2 Enterprise domain? I'm not sure what the new WHS versions are capable of doing.

Thanks.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:07 PM