Non Human Resources RRS feed

• Question

• I have trying several options and scenarios but cannot find a solution that fits all.

So it would be easier if I say what I want as an outcome - rather than waht I have tried to date.

I have a team that uses Test Cells (5 of them) - I also have a team of human resouces (6 of them) - and Engines ( 8 of them).

On any task I want to assign - an individual - a Test Cell and an Engine.

I want the Test Cell to have timesheets - as its charged to a customer by the hour.

I want the individual to have a Task and Timesheets

I want the Engine to have nothing - just the fact it was used on a Task and we can report on usage of the engine.

Finally the user that will do this only uses PWA.

Lets see what you can come up with?

Look forward to your repsonses

Burnley81
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Burnley81 --

Why don't you tell us what solutions you have tried and why you don't like them?  I, for one, am not willing to spend the time to work up a solution, only to have you say, "I tried that already and I don't like it."  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Burnley:

For any resource you want to track time, then you need to model these as a work resource. What you want to do is create a work resource for each test cell, I assume that you can identify them by serial number or something. If the human tester is supposed to update the task for both him/herself, and the test cell rexource, when you make the assignment in the schedule, set the tester as the assignment owner so that person can update the time for the test cell. If you want to track the time used on the engines, treat them the same way. I have used this technique to model all types of shop floor activities and this works very well since the introduction of 2007 and the assignment owner feature.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Engines for starters - tried to set them up as a material - but PWA says you have to use Professional to assign these. The person assigning them only uses PWA.

So set them up as Work - but in this scenario it still allocates them a Task and they can't logon to PWA as they are bits of kit. Use default assignee to a person - but different people use them on different projects.....

Pretty much same for Test Cells - set them up as a person - was thinking od delegate - but you can only do to one person - and its not by project - only though is to change the delegate every day depending whose working in which cell. And I assume they will also have tasks to close off as well .

Not very efficient - must be a way round it.

Burnley81
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:14 PM
  • I assume this can only be done using Professional - and not in the PWA.

As the field assignment owner does not appear for me to add into the PWA Edit Task Summary screen.

Burnley81
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:32 PM
  • You can't edit assignmet owner in anything but an assignment view whether you are working in Project Pro or PWA. You can add this field to the Resource Usage and Task Usage view in Project Pro and any assignment view in PWA.

Hope this helps.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Getting there - sounds like a solution. I can change the assignment owner in Professional - I can view in PWA but I cannot change is PWA.

Is it possible to do this in PWA - beacuse I cannot find a way - seems like all Assignment Views are read only and you cannot change values. If this is possible the answer to my problems will be done.

Burnley81
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:34 AM
  • You can edit the Default Assignment owner in PWA by editing resource records. Depending on the velocity of your assignments and the frequency with which you need to change assignment owners, this might provide a decent workaround for you. Unfortunately, PWA does not support editing assigments beyond applying resources at 100% and removing them.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Thats my problem - I need to assign at Task level - which you can do in Professional but not in PWA as far as I know.
    Burnley81
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:47 PM