Adding harddrives in the storage pool problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I recentely had a system crash and I was not able to do an re-install on my WHS system. What I did was to disconnect all 4 harddrives (which contains lots of data) and then did a new install on the system drive ,then I plugged in the drives again.

The problem I have now is that there are not in the storage pool. In the WHS console the drives is listed as "Not added".

I have tried to change the drive letter to D: in the Computer console screen without luck. I don't want to add the drives within the WHS console due to the formatting.

I can see my 4 drives in the explorer listed as E:\, F:\, G:\ and H:\.

Is there a way to add these drives to the storage pool again?

Thanks in advance!

Niklas

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:10 AM

Answers

• No, what you should have done was leave the drives in place and perform a server resinstallation. This is the only supported method.

At this point, if you try and add the drives to the storage pool they will be formated, as you have said.

If you want to keep the data, you should remove them from you WHS, connect them to a different machine one at a time and manually copy the data across disk by disk back to your WHS, then add the disks back to the storage pool. Or you can also move the data from the drives to your "current" storage pool, again drive by drive, and then add the drives to the storage pool.

But the bottom line is that you cannot just add drives full of data back into the storage pool without the format taking place.

Andrew

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:54 AM

All replies

• No, what you should have done was leave the drives in place and perform a server resinstallation. This is the only supported method.

At this point, if you try and add the drives to the storage pool they will be formated, as you have said.

If you want to keep the data, you should remove them from you WHS, connect them to a different machine one at a time and manually copy the data across disk by disk back to your WHS, then add the disks back to the storage pool. Or you can also move the data from the drives to your "current" storage pool, again drive by drive, and then add the drives to the storage pool.

But the bottom line is that you cannot just add drives full of data back into the storage pool without the format taking place.

Andrew

Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Andrew,

Thank you very much! I will do as you mention.

//Niklas

Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:01 AM