Resetting WHS EX 490 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to enable port forwarding and a static IP address on my WHS (HP EX490).  Unfortunately, it dropped off the network and I cannot access the server through the client.  I am wondering if there is any way that I can access/reset/do anything to get the server back to the original settings so I can get it back on the network? 

Many thanks. 
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

• How do I initiate a Factory Reset without being able to access the server on the network?  Is it as simple as sticking a paper clip into the factory reset button during power-up on the front of the server? 

Thanks! 
    Assuming the problem is not hardware related obviously (i.e. you accidentally set up the wrong subnet on your server when doing a static IP), then yes you can do a Factory Reset.  As for how to do that, you should check the documentation that came with the server for details.
    • Proposed as answer by Viguen Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, March 12, 2010 8:12 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I would strongly recommend calling HP Tech support and get detailed instructions for a WHS recovery 1-800-474-6838. There is a lot more than just doing a reset with a paper clip.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:47 PM

All replies

• I recently tried to enable port forwarding and a static IP address on my WHS (HP EX490).  Unfortunately, it dropped off the network and I cannot access the server through the client.  I am wondering if there is any way that I can access/reset/do anything to get the server back to the original settings so I can get it back on the network? 

Many thanks. 
    You can try a Server Recovery (which formats the OS partition but keeps the data on your server in tact).  If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to do a Factory Reset (which formats all drives, in which case, you'll need to backup everything first.)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:57 AM
  • How do I initiate a Factory Reset without being able to access the server on the network?  Is it as simple as sticking a paper clip into the factory reset button during power-up on the front of the server? 

Thanks! 
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:04 AM

Thanks! 
    Assuming the problem is not hardware related obviously (i.e. you accidentally set up the wrong subnet on your server when doing a static IP), then yes you can do a Factory Reset.  As for how to do that, you should check the documentation that came with the server for details.
    • Proposed as answer by Viguen Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, March 12, 2010 8:12 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I would strongly recommend calling HP Tech support and get detailed instructions for a WHS recovery 1-800-474-6838. There is a lot more than just doing a reset with a paper clip.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:47 PM