Lacie 4TB NAS RRS feed

Answers

• You're spending too much for those drives. NewEgg has them for $199 right now.

No, you won't be able to use the LaCie NAS as additional storage pool space.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:54 PM

All replies

• You're spending too much for those drives. NewEgg has them for $199 right now.

No, you won't be able to use the LaCie NAS as additional storage pool space.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Ken, I'm curious what the reason is for not being able to use the Lacie NAS for additional storage pool space. I currently have a Lacie Ethernet Big Disk 1TB drive. It connects to my home server without issue but it doesn't show up as being available to add in my storage pool. I have it plugged in via USB 2.0 but the way Lacie works is it shows up to the operating system as an external share even though it is directly connected. Is this the reason behind your answer? Any suggestions on how to make it available to my storage pool? Thanks Ken, I appreciate your insight.

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:18 AM
  • The particular NAS the OP asked about doesn't have any way to directly connect it to a computer. It's an Ethernet disk array only, which Windows Home Server doesn't support in the storage pool.

You will have to contact LaCie for help with your LaCie Big Disk, I'm afraid. But if it shows up as an external share, it's probably much the same thing. LaCie may have implemented a USB-to-Ethernet bridge for the USB connection, for example.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I will check with Lacie to see if such a critter exists.  On the other hand, if I strike out, is there a compatibility list somewhere for externally attached storage for the Windows Home Server OS?  What would you personally recommend as well?  Thank you.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:55 PM
  • You aren't going to find a hardware compatibility list, other than the Windows Server catalog. And that's not really useful for your specific inquiry.

Personally I would recommend an eSATA adapter that supports a port multiplier and multi-drive eSATA enclosure with a port multiplier. I don't have specific recommendations even there, however. If you've got an HP MediaSmart Server, it supports a port multiplier (maximum 4 drives) on it's eSATA port, according to HP. But I've never been able to get an answer as to what port multiplier chips it actually supports.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:26 PM