How do I keep maintenance from being installed on my Vista laptop? RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Does 'hiding' an update keep Microsoft Live OneCare from installing it?  I can't restart if KB958687 is installed.  So I 'hid' it and turned off automatic updates (on Microsoft Update).  Last night, before I discovered this problem, either Update or LiveOne installed the  problem which I've spent several hours isolating (numerous updates, reg backups, reboots, eliminating problems by doing manual updates of individual fixes). 

I'd like to have automatic updates turned back on, but don't want to spend a lot of time backing this 'fix' off again.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:11 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare Tune-up)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hello kbmoose1, One Care will not automatically install Windows Updates. KB958687 is a critical update so I suggest the Microsoft Update Solution Center for help with installing the update - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0 To get help with your issue use the Contacts link in the left column, then the the link that says "After you install  the updates, the computer does not operate correctly"
    Jim
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hello kbmoose1, One Care will not automatically install Windows Updates. KB958687 is a critical update so I suggest the Microsoft Update Solution Center for help with installing the update - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0 To get help with your issue use the Contacts link in the left column, then the the link that says "After you install  the updates, the computer does not operate correctly"
    Jim
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I'm going to move this thread to the Tune-up topic folder as Windows Automatic Update monitoring is handled by that part of OneCare.
    To answer your question - no, hiding an update does not stop OneCare from warning you that you are missing a critical update. In order for your status to not be at risk, AU must be turned on and set to download automatically and install immediately or at a scheduled time.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:10 PM