Do I need a Certificate? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, its the first time I've ever done a clean install of Communications Server and I'm using version 2007. All we're looking to do is have internal messaging within the company and within the actual building. Do I need a certificate for that?

Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OCS, by default, requires a cert for all client/server & client/client communications. So you should have a cert. It can be a cert that you issue from your own internal CA, but it should still be a cert.

However, you can reconfigure OCS to use TCP rather than TLS. This will allow you to communicate without a cert, albeit unsecured communication. MS doesn't recommend this. It is possible, though.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

OCS, by default, requires a cert for all client/server & client/client communications. So you should have a cert. It can be a cert that you issue from your own internal CA, but it should still be a cert.

However, you can reconfigure OCS to use TCP rather than TLS. This will allow you to communicate without a cert, albeit unsecured communication. MS doesn't recommend this. It is possible, though.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:47 PM
  • I am installing trial ms server 2003 and MS office communicator server 2007.

I think, I should use MS exchange server 2003, as example.

should I register my MS domain server (microsoft DNS server) with public domain server?

Qns: I want audio/video communication from my home to outside friend in different country and vice versa using web camera. i want to use microsoft product. I can manage trial period server for learning perpose.

when I install ms ocs 2007, it asks Unified security cerificate with some details. It cost $250 to $400 /year.

I don't want spend money for certificate.

can some body help ?, how to do below..

required ms server. special setting up for DNS server and certificate.

suggest which books should I buy to learn and practice.

thanks

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:48 PM
  • If you are simply looking to do web conferencing with a couple remote friends I'd suggest using a free service like Windows Live Messenger.  Setting up OCS to run in a 'home' network behind a single dynamic IP from a standard ISP is difficult to impossible depending on the feature set you need to use.  Or are you planning tin install this in a corporate network and then remotely access it from home?  Some more details about what you are attempting would be more helpful.

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I have not find any information to configure OCS based on TCP, is there any standard published documents on this?
    Vijay Bhasker Reddy CH.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:13 AM