short file name error during installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I get the following error during installation of SharedView (also get this if I try installing Beta2):

PortableApps is not a valid short file name

It then stops the and goes to the 'Microsoft SharedView Setup Wizard ended prematurely' dialog box.

Any idea what is going on here? The only thing I can find over internet on this is the PortableApps USB dive software, but that is not installed on the PC or any USB drives attached to it. Searching the registry does find any entries for this either.

Many thanks, T.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi T,

I found this in a discussion forum on the internet:

Not sure if an answer has been given to this issue and I hope I am not being redundant, but I had this same error and the problem was an invalid User Shell Folder under the registry key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. The element "My Pictures" was pointing to a drive letter that is no longer available. I reset the data to %USERPROFILE%\My Pictures, reran the set up program that was failing and no more error.

Can you validate that your User Shell Folders in the above part of the registry are pointing to valid drive letters?

thanks

Cameron

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:02 PM