How do I Import a modified version of the customer portal to CRM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we have the customer portal up and running on CRM2011.

I need to change the styling and layout of the portal. I have a new solution based off of the default CRM solution that contains all of my changes. Is there a way to import my solution into CRM? If not, then how can I edit the layout and syling from within CRM?

Let me elaborate.

We want to use the Customer Portal solution as opposed to writing out own site, but we need access to the masterpage to make changes to the layout. I did this by directly changing what I needed within IIS directly. Keeping the content still in CRM.

This works fine, but, when MS updates CRM, I do not wish to have to redo the site. What is the correct method for changing the layout of the customer portal site and not have it messup future CRM updates, etc?

Can I simply zip up my new solution and import it into CRM?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:42 PM

Answers

• The content is stored in CRM, but the website is a separate ASP.NET application and is not part of the CRM product.  If you want to change the skin of your website, editing the master page and other page templates using Visual Studio is the way you would accomplish this.  The website communicates with CRM over the WCF web services.  The website is hosted in a separate IIS website, and typically it is hosted on a separate web server from your CRM.  There is no way for you to zip up your solution and import it into CRM.  When Microsoft updates CRM, it does not have an effect on your website.  You can skin the website with any skin you want.  For example, here are a couple of other sites running on the portal framework that will give you some ideas as to how flexible the portal framework is:  www.adxstudio.com, www.skibanff.com, http://www.astonmartin.com/. 
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:39 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:42 PM