Customer Portal - Create Case - Add Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to add a new attribute to the Create Case form in the Customer Portal.

I noticed that it has a code behind that creates new incident object.

Is there any supporting documentation for best practice / guidelines for modifying the existing pages?

The SDK is quite light in this area (lots of simple grid list examples) and shows methods not implemented by the Portal (use of SavedQueryName for form definition)

www.epartnersolutions.co.uk
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:34 AM

Answers

• Using the free accelerators, the case form is a custom asp.net web form that is implemented in createcase.aspx and editcase.aspx.  It is NOT driven by CRM metadata.  If you would like to put a new field on the form, you can simply put an asp.net form control on the existing form and update the code-behind to ensure that the new field is included in the case entity before the call to create or update the case.  The commercial version of the portals (from Adxstudio) has a much more enhanced CrmEntityFormView control and can drive the portal UI based on custom forms in CRM, meaning that you can simply configure the web form in CRM and hit the publish button and the portal will render a new UI.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Proposed as answer by Maria Joaquin Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:44 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• Let me know if you trying to add an attribute to the Case form in CRM then I can post the steps for it. OR if you are trying to add an exisiting attribute of the Case entity to the Portal webpage.

Once you unpack the cab folder from the marketplace it will have the documentation folder which has documents specific to the Portals. Please refer to it to see if that helps.

Thanks,

RBaliga

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Using the free accelerators, the case form is a custom asp.net web form that is implemented in createcase.aspx and editcase.aspx.  It is NOT driven by CRM metadata.  If you would like to put a new field on the form, you can simply put an asp.net form control on the existing form and update the code-behind to ensure that the new field is included in the case entity before the call to create or update the case.  The commercial version of the portals (from Adxstudio) has a much more enhanced CrmEntityFormView control and can drive the portal UI based on custom forms in CRM, meaning that you can simply configure the web form in CRM and hit the publish button and the portal will render a new UI.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Proposed as answer by Maria Joaquin Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:44 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:05 PM