Mapping Attributes---Can you map a lookup field? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two entities that have an N:1 relationship.  One is jobs and the other is candidates.  The jobs has the name of the job and the account (which is a look-up field).  When I create a new candidate and select the job, I'd like the related account for that job to populate in the candidate record.  My sense from the help section is that because the account field is a look-up field I would have to map that to an attribute that is a look-up field, but look-ups are not an option when creating a new attribute.  Any suggestions?  Can you map a look-up field?
    Buckeye Mike
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• Mike -

You're correct you can't create a field of type 'lookup' directly - but rather the "lookup" type of field is created when you establish a relationship (in this case a N:1 relationship) between the candidate and the account  (If I understand your configuration correctly.)

Create the relationship to the account on the new entity to match the relationship to the account on the job, and you can then map between the two records.

Scott.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Buckeye Mike Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:44 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Perfect!  Thanks.
    Buckeye Mike
    • Marked as answer by Buckeye Mike Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:43 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Mike -

You're correct you can't create a field of type 'lookup' directly - but rather the "lookup" type of field is created when you establish a relationship (in this case a N:1 relationship) between the candidate and the account  (If I understand your configuration correctly.)

Create the relationship to the account on the new entity to match the relationship to the account on the job, and you can then map between the two records.

Scott.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Buckeye Mike Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:44 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Perfect!  Thanks.
    Buckeye Mike
    • Marked as answer by Buckeye Mike Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:43 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:43 PM