WHS Backup and Recovery Partitions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I want to be sure that if I have to restore my C: drive from a WHS recovery disk, that it won't overlay or remove the recovery partition.  For example, I just purchased a Dell XPS 8100.  If you use DISKPART and list the volumes, there is a C: drive and a partition called "RECOVERY".  The recovery partition is not assigned a letter (such as "D") so it is not visible from Windows File Explorer.

I tried to back up "RECOVERY", but 10 hours later, it was still only at 41%, and I'm not really sure why it was taking so long, so I cancelled it.  So, let's say my hard drive goes bad, and Dell ships me another one (which includes the RECOVERY partition and an "out of the factory" windows C drive), can I use WHS to restore the C drive and will it not destroy the RECOVERY partition?

Thanks,

Rich Locus

Logicwurks, LLC

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:02 PM

Answers

• You should be able to restore the system partition without restoring the recovery partition.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:21 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• You should be able to restore the system partition without restoring the recovery partition.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:21 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Thanks, Ken... I will probably sleep better now.

Regards,

Rich Locus

Logicwurks, LLC

www.logicwurks.com

Rich Locus Logicwurks, LLC www.logicwurks.com
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:20 PM