msmpeng still running RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried the One Care trial but removed the program after a few days due to impaired performance on my computer.  The other day I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and got notices about not enough virtual memory. I looked in the task manager and saw that msmpeng was taking alot of memory.  Isn't this the search engine for One Care?  Shouldn't it have been gone when I removed the One Care program?  Is it now comflicting with mse and should I somehow get rid of it?  If so, how?  Lots of questions. LOL
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:39 PM

Answers

• MsMpEng.exe is the real time scanning component of One Care, Windows Defender, and Microsoft Security Essentials. The poor performance of One Care and the high CPU usage of MsMpEng.exe are most likely caused by the same conflicting programs on your computer. All other antivirus and antitpyware applications must be removed from your computer before installing One Care or MSE. If you have already uninstalled all antivirus and antispyware applications, check the vendor website of your antivirus application for an uninstall tool, which will remove any remnants of the previously uninstalled applications.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:56 PM

All replies

• MsMpEng.exe is the real time scanning component of One Care, Windows Defender, and Microsoft Security Essentials. The poor performance of One Care and the high CPU usage of MsMpEng.exe are most likely caused by the same conflicting programs on your computer. All other antivirus and antitpyware applications must be removed from your computer before installing One Care or MSE. If you have already uninstalled all antivirus and antispyware applications, check the vendor website of your antivirus application for an uninstall tool, which will remove any remnants of the previously uninstalled applications.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:56 PM
  • How can I check to see if I have any anti-virus or anti-spyware running on my computer that I don't know about?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:21 PM
  • The first place to check would be the list in Control Panel - Program in Vista, Add or Remove programs in XP. If you see security software listed, remove it.
    Your previous security software may be listed in this post - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91 - which is a handy list of removal tools provided by the various vendors for their products.
    If you are unable to resolve the issue, please contact support -
    Since you are now using MSE:

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

And the MSE forums are here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:38 PM
  • I mean't to hit a higher number on how helpful you were, but it put in 1.  You were very helpful.  Thanks.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:23 PM