Transferring Harddrive from one laptop to another with windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My Laptop Dell M1730 is failing due to motherboard charging design issue. I brough another laptop and want to transfer the hard drive from my old laptop to the New one. With My old Laptop I brought and installed Window 7 Ultimate (Not OEM), when it came out. I know I will have to install the drivers for the New laptop, that not a problem for me. What the transfer of the Laptop will save me is reinstalling all my programs and copying all the files, that I have.

The Problem I have is Microsoft Licences.

Can I transfer Windows 7 Ultimate to the New laptop while scrapping the old laptop?

If Yes, What the procedure must I follow?

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:26 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can transfer the HDD to the new computer as long as ALL of the software is retail and not OEM. However, just transfering the drive may or may not work. I suggest you read up on transfering the HDD in various Windows setup forums. The official advice will be to reinstall but in practice you can make it work.

When I do this I create an image just in case, place the drive in the new computer and see if windows can succesfully boot. it helps to uninstall driver packages prior to transfering the drive. This is sparse and incomplete advice, just meant as a couple of quick tips, any failure or loss of data is your responsibility.

I would guess it is about a 60-40 proposition as to whether windows will succesfully boot, identify the new hardware and not have any major issues with leftover drivers and system settings.

Once succesfully transfered activation will be neccesary, it may automaticly happen or may require a phone activation.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:42 PM