Password Textbox in asp.net Show characters first then after some time(say less than 1 second time) show * character RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have one new requirement from client. In  log in page in password text box, when we enter password first  the characters to show for some time then needs to display * character. Please advice me how to crete this text box in asp.net.

Thanks,

Badri

• Moved by Paul Zhou Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:39 AM off-topic (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:02 AM

Answers

• This has nothing to do with ASP.NET, it must be pure client-side javascript.

You probably need a plain TextBox and a hidden field to store password. Then you handle key events in textbox to update value in the hidden field and to replace existing letters with *, and to set timer to replace letters with * on timeout.

But it looks really complicated for such a simple thing as password input. There's no reason to replicate iOS behavior on desktop computers.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I'd like to move your thread to off-topic because it is a problem related to ASP.NET. You may post thread in ASP.NET Forum. There are more experts in that forum so that you may get more useful help there.

Thank you for your posting and understanding.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:38 AM

All replies

• This has nothing to do with ASP.NET, it must be pure client-side javascript.

You probably need a plain TextBox and a hidden field to store password. Then you handle key events in textbox to update value in the hidden field and to replace existing letters with *, and to set timer to replace letters with * on timeout.

But it looks really complicated for such a simple thing as password input. There's no reason to replicate iOS behavior on desktop computers.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I'd like to move your thread to off-topic because it is a problem related to ASP.NET. You may post thread in ASP.NET Forum. There are more experts in that forum so that you may get more useful help there.

Thank you for your posting and understanding.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:38 AM