USB Mass Storage Device RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use this mass storage device for my backups.

it tells me to go to device PC, elevate myself to Hub PC and save my configuration again.

but when I try and do this it won't let me.

How do I get around this so I can use me external backup device?

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:12 PM

Answers

• What is the USB Mass Storage Device? If it is a flash drive, you won't be able to do this for Centralized Backup.

If the flash drive is 8 gigs or larger, you can use it for backup for that PC only, but not Centralized Backup, which would be the only reason OneCare is advising you to make the PC into a Hub. In the backup configuration, uncheck the "centralized backup" option and proceed to configuring backup for just that PC and the flash will be listed.

If you have an external hard drive that is formatted NTFS, then you can use Centralized backup, making the PC into a Hub in your Circle. If this is what you are trying to do and you are unable to proceed because you already have a saved backup plan with the destination being CD\DVD, you may want to reset your backup plan.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Now, repeat the configuration steps to make the PC into a hub and configure centralized backup to use your external drive.

-steve

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 2:56 PM