Converting my Money 99 files to Sunset to import into Quicken RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Win 7, My Money 99 no longer works and I cannot re-install it. (If you can fix this, I'd love it.)

So I went and got Quicken but I can't import form Money '99 into Quicken. So I downloaded Money Sunset.  Now I cannot open my .mny file in Sunset. It won't repair either so I am stuck and frustrated. I get a message that it is not Money file or is corrupt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, April 11, 2016 6:54 PM

All replies

• When you say Money 99 "no longer works", what do you mean?  Won't open?  Does it give an error message?  What happens exactly and what is the error message?

As for reinstalling Money 99, why can't you reinstall it?  No disk?  The reinstall fails?

Maybe your Money file has become corrupt.  Have you tried to open a backup?  What happens?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:45 AM
  • I installed Money99 on both Windows 7 and 8.1.  Both work fine.  Please provide details.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:32 AM
  • I cannot re-install it because I get an error that there is a missing .dll. After a Windows update, I could only run Money with the disc in.

I can run Money 99 on my old PC running XP.  And I can restore from the last backup I did on the Win 7 machine.

I had to uninstall it to install Sunset so I can import into Quicken.  But I'd rather keep Money.

When I tried to open my Money99 file in Sunset, I got a warning it was not a money file, although it has a .mny extension.  When I try to repair it, there are no errors.
    Friday, April 15, 2016 4:15 PM
  • Please look at your installed programs (search for Add or Remove Programs) and verify that Money is not installed.

You should be able to reinstall Money on Windows 7 using your Money 99 disk.  When you get the "missing dll" error, exactly which dll is missing?

As for your previous trouble where you needed to have the Money disk in your CD/DVD drive to run Money, this is a possible cause:

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/360.aspx

If you can get Money 99 installed it should be possible to fix that.

As for converting to Sunset, it's possible to do that.  Unfortunately, as you have seen, Sunset cannot directly import a Money 99 file.  You would have to do an intermediate conversion with Money 2004.  We can help you with that, but it would be a lot easier if you could get Money 99 going.

Bill Becker

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Thank you for all the help.

Re-installing is at the top of my to-do list.

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Ok, so I just tried to reinstall my Money 99 on my Win 7 machine.  I made sure I had uninstalled Sunset.

I get an error that the installation is blocked due to compatibility in Windows Media Technology.  The file is  on the disc: d:\ie\nsplay.exe

When I try to continue the installation, it  goes to non-responding.

I tried finding an updated file but cannot.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 9:40 PM
  • Try running the setup.exe file in the root directory of the CD.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:31 PM
  • Setup.exe is not on the root of the CD and I cannot copy it there.  And I still get the error. It says that the nsplay.exe is incompatible or has been superseded by the version of Windows.

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:11 AM
  • Please help! I have now bought another copy of MS Money 99 and I am getting the same error about Microsoft Media Technologies compatibility problem!  I cannot install it at all. And I cannot more nsplay.exe to the root of the cd.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Is there a file setup.exe on the installation CD?  Exactly what happens when you double-click on it?

Bill Becker

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:19 AM
  • Yes there is a setup.exe on the root of the cd.

When I double-click on it,

1) the first thing I get is the UAC message asking if I want this program to make changes to my computer.  I say 'yes'.

2) The Install Wizard for Microsoft Money appears. I do not look at the read me but I click Next

3) Get a window saying 'Setup is now installing Microsoft NetShow. Please wait

4) I immediately get a Program Compatibility Assistant window:

This program is blocked due to compatibility issues

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Program: Windows Media Technologies

Publisher: Microsoft

Location D:\ie\nsplay.exe

The version of Windows Technology is incompatible with or has been superseded by this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft website.

My options are 'Check for solutions online' and 'Cancel'

If I click on Check for solutions online, I get no solutions found.

When I click cancel, the install seems to continue as it asks for my name and tells me to write down the registry number. However, it eventually says Non-responding and nothing gets installed.

I am trying to re-install Money 99 Financial Suite onto a Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Keep in mind, I had installed and it was working fine until about 5 months ago, it started requiring me to put the disc in to run.  I had installed Money Sunset but have since uninstalled it.

I am getting the same error with my original disc as well as a recently purchased disc.

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:28 AM
  • I tracked down a possible solution on a German web site.  Here's the Google translation:

Solution:

For years, I copy all installation CDs of my programs on my server and install virtually only from there. The Money CD contains two setup programs (setup.exe): one in the root directory of the CD, a subdirectory ".. \ money99".

I start the installation of Money 99 always from the subdirectory ".. \ money99 \ setup.exe" with a right click / "Run as administrator" - even if I'm logged in as administrator or user with administrator rights .

With this approach, all of my installations went through easily. This worked well for all users, with whom I was in contact because of the above problems.

So try executing the setup.exe that is in the money99 subfolder and see if that helps.

Bill Becker

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Unfortunately, that did not work. I get the same compatibility message.

Here is the setupwiz.ini file contecnts:

[setup wizard]
    IE4 = ie\ie4setup.exe
    IEIni=ie4check.ini
    IeUrl = http://www.microsoft.com/ie.ie4
    IE4Options=/Q /C:"IE4WZD.EXE /Q:C /R:N /I:N /S:""#e"""
    NetShow = ie\nsplay.exe
    NetShowOptions = /Q:A /R:A
    Security = ie\ie4dom.exe
    SecurityOptions = /Q:A /R:N

Banking =

SkuVersion = 14
    readme = readme.txt
    Acme = money99\setup.exe
    AcmeId = mny99.inf

I also checked and I am running IE 11.0.9600.18314

Saturday, May 14, 2016 7:55 PM
  • Is that setupwiz.ini file in the \money99 folder along with a setup.exe file?  Did you copy the money99 folder to your hard drive and execute setup.exe from there?

I wonder if maybe there is something in your user account settings that is causing a problem.  Try creating a new account with administrator privileges and then try the install when logged in to that account.

Bill Becker

Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Your attempt to convert your Money 99 file to Sunset directly may have modified your *.mny file to something that you cannot use. See if you have a *.mn7 file (or *.mn? file) in the same folder with your *.mny file. Copy that file to other media in case your hard drive crashes or you accidently delete it during your efforts.

Installing Money 99 will not help you convert to Quicken if you have a good Money 99 *.mny or *.mn7. Instead you want to convert to Money 2004 or 2005 and then convert that to Sunset. Then you could convert to Quicken. Installing Money 99 should help if you could succeed if you had a *.mbf file rather than a *.mny or *.mn7 file.

See if https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913108 works for you. There may be a problem, but let's hope.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 11:21 PM
  • The setupwiz.ini is also on the root of the CD

I copies the CD to my C drive and tried to install as an administrator but got teh same message.

Also created a new Admin user and that install also failed. 

The NetShow will not install.

Monday, May 16, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Ok, I think that you have done everything that you can to get Money 99 installed.  

Since your goal is to get to Quicken anyway, I think that you should try the intermediate conversion process that Cal Learner recommended in his response of May 14, 2016 11:28pm.  Be sure to keep the backups that he recommends.

The Microsoft support link in Cal's response, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913108, gives a detailed process and a link to a Money 2005 minimal install file that should be able to convert your Money 99 Money.mny file to a Money 2005 version.  Then you can download and install Money Sunset which should be able to convert the Money 2005 file to the Sunset format.

Let us know if this works for you.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:29 AM