Moving data across servers by moving physical disks RRS feed

• Question

• Ok. I have two WHS boxes at two different locations, with tons of media files on one but not the other, and I wanted to copy the media files from one to the other. I tried doing this over the internet with Robocopy but once Robocopy hit a ceiling it would not copy additional files for some reason. So I removed two 1TB drives from the target server storage pool and attached these to the server with all the data. These unadded drives showed up with drive letters under My Computer (attached one at a time, as letter E:) and Disk Management add-in correctly reported percent available space used. I filled both disks with media files, then physically transported them to the second server. I physically attached these to the second server (without adding them to the data pool). I can see them through the server Console (Disk Management and Server Storage) but they do not show up with drive letters in My Computer. Also, Disk Management displays percent available space as 0%, even though these are both full. The two boxes are very similar -- same processor, mobo, etc.  Hard to know why I can't see the lettered drives to access their content. Any suggestions on how I can get to the data I copied?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• The easy way: Use an external drive as a server backup drive. Back up one or more shares (as much as will fit), then temporarily remove it from server 1. Now attach it to server 2 and restore the backup. Lather, rinse, repeat until all files have been copied.

The hard way: Connect a drive to some computer on your network (could be server 1, could be a client computer). Now copy from the server's shares (i.e. from \\server\<sharename>) to the drive. Remove/disconnect it from server 1. Connect it to some computer on the same network as server 2, and copy from it to the shares on server 2.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks a lot. I did this "the hard way" already, basically. However, rather than connecting the drive to the network of server 2, I connected it to server 2 itself. Any thoughts on why server 1 would assign a drive letter and permit copying to it, while server 2 will not assign a drive letter (anld therefore, so far as I know, has made the drive content inaccessible)?  I could do as you suggest, but then have the added time commitment of going over the network (not just a direct SATA connection).

Jeff
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Connecting the drive to server 2 is fine (though unsupported). You can copy to the shares using the shortcut on the desktop. You shouldn't copy directly to D:\Shares\etc. however.

Regarding the drive letter issue: If Windows doesn't automatically assign a drive letter (which I've seen happen with other versions of Windows as well) just do so yourself, using the Disk Management MMC snap-in.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Ken: That did it. Many thanks.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:09 PM
  • The FAQ How to recover data after server failure covers the location of the real data on the single disks.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:53 PM