Remote Web Access Music Player Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

For some reason, I can't get the music player to work. It just pops up then goes black and it just sits there doing nothing. After fighting with this issue for a while, I decided to re-instal whs 2011.. I got excited when I first enabled media sharing cause it was working.. but at that point it had just scanned a few hundred songs.. but now that my library has been completely scanned ( 19000 + songs ) the problem is back.. Is my music library too big?.. Is anyone else getting this issue?.. I have no problem with the picture and video players..They work just fine.. Also, everytime I attempt to play music via web access I get the following error..

Log Name: Application
    Source: ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0
    Date: 6/15/2011 9:43:46 PM
    Event ID: 1309
    Task Category: Web Event
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: servername
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 6/15/2011 9:43:46 PM
    Event time (UTC): 6/16/2011 1:43:46 AM
    Event ID: fb11243e9e004f66b57de5ae0a9c2341
    Event sequence: 510
    Event occurrence: 7
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Remote-1-129526575980475967
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /Remote
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\
    Machine name: servername

Process information:
    Process ID: 1980
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
    Exception type: HttpException
    Exception message: client already disconnected
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Media.MediaStreamHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Request information:
    Request URL: https://server.homes...ndwidth=2841507
    Request path: /Remote/Service/Media/MediaStreamHandler.ashx
    User host address: **.**.36.123
    User: servername\username
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: Forms
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 58
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Media.MediaStreamHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

Event Xml:
    < Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro...08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1309</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>3</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-16T01:43:46.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>976</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>servername</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>3005</Data>
    <Data>An unhandled exception has occurred.</Data>
    <Data>6/15/2011 9:43:46 PM</Data>
    <Data>6/16/2011 1:43:46 AM</Data>
    <Data>fb11243e9e004f66b57de5ae0a9c2341</Data>
    <Data>510</Data>
    <Data>7</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Remote-1-129526575980475967</Data>
    <Data>Full</Data>
    <Data>/Remote</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\</Data>
    <Data>servername</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>1980</Data>
    <Data>w3wp.exe</Data>
    <Data>NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE</Data>
    <Data>HttpException</Data>
    <Data>client already disconnected
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Media.MediaStreamHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously)

< /Data>
    <Data>https://server.homeserver.com:443/Remote/Service/Media/MediaStreamHandler.ashx?action=GetAudioStreamContent&amp;id={445AC538-D46A-4E4A-A048-9A4190501BE2}.0.43780163&amp;bandwidth=2841507</Data>
    <Data>/Remote/Service/Media/MediaStreamHandler.ashx</Data>
    <Data>**.**.36.123</Data>
    <Data>servername\username</Data>
    <Data>True</Data>
    <Data>Forms</Data>
    <Data>58</Data>
    <Data>False</Data>
    <Data> at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Web.Media.MediaStreamHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously)
    < /Data>
    </EventData>
    < /Event>

Hope you guys can help.. this is getting a little anoying at this point..

Thanks

Sly.           

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:29 AM

All replies

• Has no one else encountered this issue?.. I'm still getting this all the time..

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Not me, but I have only around half the library size you have.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 8:33 PM
  • I managed to get it working but it doesn't seem consistant.. when it does work, it seems to only be after I browse about 5 or so pages of albums and let the thumbnails load up.. after about 5-10 minutes of doing this I might be able to use the music player, but it's hit and miss..

Any thoughts?

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I had the same issue with min, but figured out a way to fix it.  I have over 15,000 mp3s myself.  I had to log into the desktop of my Home Server and launch media player.  I configured the libraries for music, pictures, and video.  Then I let it set for hours buidling my library database.  After that, I was able to use my media streaming on the Remote Access Page.  I'm thinking its trying to build the database when you use the web page, so if you get it setup first the web page is more responsive.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:16 PM
  • I had to log into the desktop of my Home Server and launch media player.  I configured the libraries for music, pictures, and video.  Then I let it set for hours buidling my library database.  After that, I was able to use my media streaming on the Remote Access Page.  I'm thinking its trying to build the database when you use the web page, so if you get it setup first the web page is more responsive.

How does that work technically ?

Isn't the Media Streaming database located here (??):

C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

When you login as administrator or another user - launch media player it will create the cache in that user profile instead. I assume you don't logon as "MediaStreamingAdmin" ?

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:32 PM
  • I had to log into the desktop of my Home Server and launch media player.  I configured the libraries for music, pictures, and video.  Then I let it set for hours buidling my library database.  After that, I was able to use my media streaming on the Remote Access Page.  I'm thinking its trying to build the database when you use the web page, so if you get it setup first the web page is more responsive.

How does that work technically ?

Isn't the Media Streaming database located here (??):

C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

When you login as administrator or another user - launch media player it will create the cache in that user profile instead. I assume you don't logon as "MediaStreamingAdmin" ?

This is where the database is located, but there is definitely some sharing between the actual music library files, WMP and the MediaStreamingAdmin database.  For example, as soon as you make additions to the album art in Windows Media Player, logged in as Administrator, they are visible on the Remote Access Page.  Also, if you create a playlist in WMP, it is available via the Remote Access Page (right away).  I noticed this because I tried to create playlists via the web access and it was very buggy (kept saving only one song). 

Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:02 PM
  • I'm getting the same error too.

My setup is unsupport: running as a Hyper-V Guest. BUT...it seems to work (mostly).

What i've learned through testing is that the library seems to NOT like any file updates directly on the server (coping, moving, updating files directly on the server).

I've used the steps here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53 to address the issue. Which (so far) does the trick....after restaring the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and re-enabling media sharing...all works.  It needs to bake awhile to re-index/create the DB.

I'm not sure the WHS team has tested the media library for scaling to large numbers of files.  I think they'll need to develop a guidline recommendation on this one prior to full release.

NOTE: My library is HUGE (music mostly) of close to 70k files.  Yep I'm a music freak.  While I'd like to use the remote access i'm not sure I'm going to be able to rely on it.

Regards,

D

d
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Same error here too.

I'm not sure the WHS team has tested the media library for scaling to large numbers of files. 

No doubt.

G

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:08 PM