none
TV Card RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

I was wondering if i could transfer my Pinnacle PCTV DVB Card to my WHS ??

The reason i was asking was at this moment in time it runs on my Vista PC quiet happily and my son can

connect to it via his xbox360 and watch & record TV, the only problem i have is that my Vista system is not always

running where as the WHS is so he only benefits it i leave the Vista system on all the time which i dont like.

Forgot to say i' not running HP WHS i've built my own. 

Any help guys

Monday, August 4, 2008 6:59 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is not a Media Center PC. You haven't said, but I'm pretty sure your son is using his XBox 360 as a Media Center Extender, which means that he probably won't be able to control the card if you move it to the server.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 7:07 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is not a Media Center PC. You haven't said, but I'm pretty sure your son is using his XBox 360 as a Media Center Extender, which means that he probably won't be able to control the card if you move it to the server.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Your correct sorry he's using it as a media extender.

So i take it microsoft don't have any plans to add a media center extender in the future to WHS then..?, I would have thought this would be an advantage considering we are running a server..?

Maybe its because there maybe a conflict with backups or duplication of drives etc, would have been a nice feature

and saved my on electric bills running two systems 24/7 Wink

Monday, August 4, 2008 7:16 PM
  • First, WHS would have to function as a Media Center PC. It's actually possible to use the media streaming features to get certain media to your son's XBox 360, but unfortunately live TV isn't one of the media types that can be handled. You can also just point the XBox 360's media blade at the server's shares directly.

Regarding future plans, I can't speak to specifics. Even where I know them, I'm under NDA. But Microsoft is aware that the community wants better integration of Windows Home Server with home media serving and consumption and they are actively researching the possibilities.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Hi Ken,

would you know if the Linksys Media Center Extender (DMA2100) can be used as a Media Extender for WHS? My home network is 100% Linksys, and i'd like to in as much as possible keep it that way. I have understood the XBOX can be used to stream media as it supports Media Connect. From what i have read about the Linksys product, it connects to Windows Media Center, which is obviously not part of WHS.

If not, would you know what media extenders apart from XBOX i could use to stream media from WHS to my TV?

Thanks!

Bo Lundqvist

Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Bo, you're going to be best off asking Linksys that question. The answer you want is whether your extender supports Windows Media Connect version 2.0, and if it does, what media types will it be able to stream and process from that source?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I have posted that question on thier forum. Their tech support is not too cooperative! 

On the subject of media connectors, what would you recommend for WHS - my obejctive is to be able to easily browse and access stuff like pictures and home videos on my TV from the Server over my network. Is the XBOX the best alternative - or are there better tools out there that you know of?

Cheers,

Bo
    Friday, October 10, 2008 8:38 AM
  • WHS is not a Media PC but i think that is not a problem, in my case i installed my KWorld TV card and the SageTV add-in for WHS, everything works great using a Hauppauge MediaMVP as extender.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:55 PM