OCS 2007 Std - Web Client Errors RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

We have installed OCS 2007 Std several times on differing hardware (inc VMWare) and keep coming across the same problems.

One of the key errors is when a communication is initiated from another client the receiver (using web) gets a popup and then a script error

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line 3

Char 849224

Error 'this.optionManager.GetOptionData().messages' is null or not an object.

Code 0

URL https://servername/cwa/Client/3.0.6362.000/Toast.htm?type=im

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can replicate this with IE6, IE7 and Firefox and have tested on numerous machines.  I even changed media from Eval to MSDN for re-installation to test it wasn't that.

The thick client functions perfectly and certificates appear correct all round (especially in the VM as it is all on the same machine).

Google only seems to show a couple of links for this and they haven't been answered!  From what I can find out it appears to be a javascript that is in error but I can't be sure of that.  I just can't understand why there are so few people with the problem (EDIT what I mean is there doesn't appear to be many other people with this problem therefore it indicates an installation issue).

This is the standard edition not enterprise (I may try ent in a bit) 

Any help appreciated!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:23 PM

All replies

• Can you provide some detail as to your deployment topology?

Also I'm assuming you're referring to the Communicaor Web Access client?
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for replying.

This is in a POC so we have tried:

1  A single DC with a seperate OCS 2007 machine running both OCS and the Web Publishing bit.  DC is cert server so using that to publish.  Communicator thick client works as expected but Web Access client shows same errors.

2 A VM machine that is a DC and runs all of the OCS stuff.  Works as exepcted apart from Web Access client.

3 (In process) seperate virtual DC with 2 seperate boxes holding OCS and the Web Publishing bit.

I can only imagine it must be something we (me!) are doign wrong.  The installation is pretty straight forward.  Setup forest/domain as per CD.  Then install everything by clicking run. Nothing major to configure and I assume it would fail the Communicator client if it was wrong.

Is there anything else that would be handy to know?

cheers

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Have just completed number 3.

Fresh virtual DC.  2 physical boxes for OCS, 1 with main product and second with Web publishing.  Communicator works fine but the web client fails with identical error.   These machines have nothing else installed apart from windows updates.

Bugger....

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:29 AM
  •  

Just to confirm the steps we have tried here.

We have a POC here with 2 virtual DCs running as 2003 native and OCS 2007 fresh install on 2 boxes (both physical now) that exhibit the problem. This POC has Exchange 2000 and 2007 working which implies the AD side of things is functioning correctly still.

We have also installed a single VM machine that was a DC and OCS 2007 (inc Web) all in one that showed the same problem.( I realise this isn't supported)

We have built a straight network of 3 servers each with one role each of DC, OCS and Web with the same problem.

I have also just built 2 VM machines, one as a DC and OCS2007 and the other as the web publishing server with the same problem.
    All of them are using home grown certificates (either standalone or Enterprise root CAs)

Common Info:
    -The error occurs on multiple browsers (IE6, IE7, Opera and Firefox) and operating systems (2003, Vista x32 and XP).

-Both Physical and Virtual machines have been used

-The Communicator “thick” client works without problems.

-We have used the “Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Standard Edition Deployment Guide” and the “Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access Planning and Deployment Guide” as installation guides.

-We have used the Eval media from the Microsoft website and the MSDN media from the MSDN website.

A colleague has also tried:

"I created an LCS 2005 environment and included the Web Communicator appropriate for this version. IM communication worked with both the thick, desktop client and the web client. I then followed the Microsoft, OCS_Migration document and installed the OCS2007 Web Communicator on new servers, migrated the User accounts and deactivated the LCS 2005 server. I upgraded the local client and confirmed IM still worked as expected. I then attempted to use the Web Client and it failed with the same result as before."

Can anyone who has 2007 Std working with the web client post here so I know it does work!!

cheers

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Just for my peace of mind, has anyone got OCS 2007 Web client working?

I can't see what has been done wrong but it must be something silly.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:10 PM
  • My test install works, but the website is at port 4430, so I type in https://gig-oc-01.graintest.com:4430 to get the logon screen.  I was able to log in and get a similar interface to the wnidows communicator version.  The server is a member server on W2K3, running on a Xen virtual server.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know.  I can get a screen up but if another client initiates the communication to it then I get the script error.  Things like the options box at the top also don't work.  It's good to know it works for someone tho so I know it's me that's made the mistake!

cheers

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Just to keep people informed this issue appears to be regarding domain names with greater that 3 characters.  Our test deployment has a .local domain name which breaks this.  PSS are investigating still.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 9:58 AM
  • what you mean , if you have domain name with 3 chr , it will work??

please inform me if you solve the problem ..., and if its woked with any on he can tell us how

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Please bear in mind it is early days but PSS have been testing and believe that it will fail on any domain (last suffix if that is the correct way of saying it?) that is greater that 3 characters.  So test.local will fail but test.com works.  I am told there is a hotfix being built but no eta on it at the moment.  This is only for communicator web access.  I don't believe there is a work around so just gotta wait (like us!)

cheers

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:52 PM
  • I have been deploying OCS 2007 with a domain .local as well and I'm experiencing the same problem. Hope that Windowsmen will solve it soon!

Does anyone know the implications o changing the .local to a .com?? I think it could lead to disaster for the active directory schema. Or am I completely wrong?

Thanks and good luck!

Monday, November 5, 2007 3:52 PM
  • If it is in a test enviroment then it isn't a problem.  It doesn't have to be .com (as these will likely resolve externally).  2003 allows domain renames and it does work.  We just rebuilt the poc with .bug and .ger to get over the annoyance of having to get it all up again. 

If I get any update I will share it but I imagine it will be a little time to start with

cheers
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:57 AM
  •  

with this i resolve thi issue

i resolve this issue .. i have two dns namescapes.. one for internal and one for external. and the first time i configure the sip users with the internal namescape for connecting to ocs and show me the same error.

i reconfigure for use the sip address match with the e-mail address exactly.

change the certificates for internal edges with the fqdn as principal, and in alternate subjec name  put the fqdn for another namescapes .. for example if you have server1.domain.internal and the external namescape is domain.external

you need put in the alternate subject name server1.domain.external before you need create the records in this namescape..

with this i resolve thi issue

Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:23 PM
  • I tryed to work around this see the follwing :

If the domain name =domain.com everything work ok.

ü  If the domain name =domain.local we have the error.

·         I have the following scenario:

·         DC01.domain.local is domain controller

·         OCS01.domain.local  is the communicator server

·         OCW01.domain.local is the web access server

ü  To work around the problem I create another sip domain=domain.com, and I create user with Sip name =test101@domain.com, the web access worked.

But

ü  I try to use the user test101@domain.com using the Office communicator (not the web) I have error:

ü  Error in the Application log:

Communicator could not connect securely to server ocs01.domain.com because the certificate presented by the server did not match the expected hostname (ocs01.domain.com).

Resolution:

If you are using manual configuration with an IP address or a NetBIOS shortened server name, a fully-qualified server name will be required.  If you are using automatic configuration, the network administrator will need to make sure that the published server name in DNS is supported by the server certificate.

Note: we can’t change the certification name to ocs01.domain.com or ocw01.domain.local, I tried this and nothing worked, and I have DNS record for the ocs01.domain.com.

ü  If I try to log on using test101@domain.local it show me that sing in address doesn’t found.

ü  So again to solve this I go to the options of the office communicator and made the communication manually and configure the server OCS01.domain.local

Every thing worked

ü  So we solve the problem of the web, but we lose the auto sinning of the communicator, what do you think???

if some one have an idea please tell me.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:22 AM
  •  

I solve the Issue (auto sinning of the communicator), I request new certificate that have 4 alternate names the OCs01.domain.local and oss01.domain.com plus the two sip domains.

This is not final since we need to create different  SIP domain name for the all users , also I need to integrate  this with ISA and exchange (for example make the sip domain domain.gov.com)

thank you all.

Wael Khater

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Well done mate.  I will try and give this a go.  I haven't had any chance lately.

cheers

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:55 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=945056

Hotfix availability
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:56 AM