Windows Home Server reports critical health with Windows 7 and AVG RRS feed

Answers

• Jonas, could you submit that as a bug instead of a product suggestion? It'll get more love that way. Include CAB #s for logs collected with the Windows Home Server toolkit, from an affected client and the server.

However, I can tell you that the Windows Home Server team is likely to resolve this as external; the base problem is likely to be that AVG/Windows 7 is not reporting AV status correctly when queried. Since Windows 7 is not released yet, it's not (officially) supported as a client OS for Windows Home Server, though the team wants your bugs anyway. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• Jonas, could you submit that as a bug instead of a product suggestion? It'll get more love that way. Include CAB #s for logs collected with the Windows Home Server toolkit, from an affected client and the server.

However, I can tell you that the Windows Home Server team is likely to resolve this as external; the base problem is likely to be that AVG/Windows 7 is not reporting AV status correctly when queried. Since Windows 7 is not released yet, it's not (officially) supported as a client OS for Windows Home Server, though the team wants your bugs anyway. :)

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Ken,
        Thanks for your suggestion, but I tried to submit a bug and i don't see how. The link to do so sends you to the feedback submitter and that is why i posted it as a feedback.

I will add the CAB #s for logs once I have some time and investigate how to do so.

I know Windows 7 is not released yet, but i guess that is why they make Betas and RCs so we can submit these type of feedbacks and suggestions.

Hope this catches some eyes...
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:01 PM
  • The toolkit is available through this link, and the toolkit manual (read it, the installation on the server requires you to have already installed on the client) is here.

Post the Connect ID # back here and I'll make sure it gets a bit more attention. :)

Monday, May 11, 2009 4:11 PM
  • FWIW I see the same thing...

I found a reference that installing AVG 8.5 after the WHS connector software will fix this. I did that and it works better but I still get the error notification intermittently.

MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I had the same issue for about 15 minutes, then it went away and I haven't seen it again in about 8 hours since install.  Perhaps it takes a few minutes to synch up after updating?  I think I installed AVG first, then the connector... something about the Win7 no anti-virus warning seemed a little more pressing than hooking up with the server.

That said, the 64-bit connector worked flawlessly, and my first backup took all of 12 minutes. 
    files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I see the same issue, but with Windows Vista (32-bit, SP1, AVG 8.5)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I had the same issue after I installed AVG and then restored my settings from XP using easy transfer. Before restoring with easy transfer, it was fine. I then reinstalled AVG and the problem went away.

Mitch
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:25 AM
  • I had the same issue for about 15 minutes, then it went away and I haven't seen it again in about 8 hours since install.  Perhaps it takes a few minutes to synch up after updating?  I think I installed AVG first, then the connector... something about the Win7 no anti-virus warning seemed a little more pressing than hooking up with the server.

That said, the 64-bit connector worked flawlessly, and my first backup took all of 12 minutes. 
    files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...

Same here, initially shows as a error, but after Win 7 finishes booting up, and a brief period passes, the error is gone.

FWIW - I installed AVG8.5 after installing the connector.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:19 PM
  • As far as I can tell, this is an issue with AVG and it's interaction with the Windows 7 Security Center, not with Windows Home Server. Windows Home Server reports what the Windows 7 Security Center tells it, nothing more.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:06 PM
  • As far as I can tell, this is an issue with AVG and it's interaction with the Windows 7 Security Center, not with Windows Home Server. Windows Home Server reports what the Windows 7 Security Center tells it, nothing more.

It may be an issue with the Windows  Security Center but it seems to effect more than just AVG and I'm not convinced it's specific to Windows 7 as I've seen similar errors reported on one of our XP laptops.  It may be that AVG is just the worst offender.

There's also confirmation in the feedback item of issues with:
    - kaspersky tech preview antivirus for windows 7
    -
    early beta versions of Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 for Win 7
    - MS Security Essentials (both x86 and x64)

I'm wondering if it may be happening more than people realize.  If you don't have the WHS console up or are actively using another PC with the WHS system tray icon visible than you'll most likely miss the events since they clear within a few minutes at startup and shutdown.

One really good way to catch this is to have the Remote Notification addin installed.  Even if you're not emailing alerts the errors do show up in the application event log of the home server.  If I search my app log and filter on Remote Notification as the source I see over 3100 events since February 2009.  Given half of those are the errors and the other half, theoretically at least, are the information notices that gives you right around 1500 errors.  Take out the 67 server reboots since February (for whatever reason WHS incorrectly reports all drives are available every time the server is restarted ) x15 drives (I get an error on every drive in the storage pool :'( ) = 1005, which leave us with right around 500 Security Center errors reported.  Then halve that again since the wonderful Security Center warns for both AV and Spyware and you have around 250 reboots that have resulted in multiple erroneous AV alerts on WHS.  That averages out to ~42 reboots a month over the past six months so even if the three machines I'm sure I've seen the error on are the only ones reporting the error rate seems reasonable (~14 /machine /month). 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:12 PM