MediaRoom Access of Files on WHS RRS feed

• Question

•     I purchased and set up Windows Home Server as server for my home network about six months ago.  This past week, I changed our television service over from cable TV to CenturyLink Advanced TV based on Microsoft MediaRoom using a VIP-1216 set-top.  My photos, videos and music are now stored on the server and am unable to access them, apparently due to security settings that I am unable to overcome, even using the Guest setting with no restrictions.  This issue is beyond the scope of the Advanced TV service provider and I desperately need assistance.  I can access images and music if placed on other nodes on the network; but not from the server.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• Have you turned on streaming in Windows Home Server? Have you designated your media shares as "streamable"? You say you've enabled Guest access to your server; have you granted the Guest account access to your server's shares? (Shouldn't be needed, as streaming bypasses the shares, but...) Have you read the Media Sharing technical brief?

Unfortunately, Motorola (the manufacturer of your STB) doesn't have a user manual available for it, only an installation manual. You might want to consider visiting The Green Button , a Windows Media Center site which deals a lot more with media issues than we do here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:52 PM

All replies

• Which media server are you using?
    --
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I bought WHS as an OEM and it is installed on a low end Acer computer w/ adequate storage.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Have you turned on streaming in Windows Home Server? Have you designated your media shares as "streamable"? You say you've enabled Guest access to your server; have you granted the Guest account access to your server's shares? (Shouldn't be needed, as streaming bypasses the shares, but...) Have you read the Media Sharing technical brief?

Unfortunately, Motorola (the manufacturer of your STB) doesn't have a user manual available for it, only an installation manual. You might want to consider visiting The Green Button , a Windows Media Center site which deals a lot more with media issues than we do here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I have not read the Media Sharing technical brief; but will do so asap.  I chased the manual for the the set-top box most of the day yesterday and finally found that it is barely available to provider support personnel.  They could not forward to me.  I just found that I have another issue that I will have to clear up first.  I used my old router as a staged network switch and WHS is recognizing my old router as THE router, not as a switch.  I will either have to buy a switch or reconfigure my network setup.  Thanks for the link to the Media Sharing technical brief.  That is my next stop.  Green Button will follow if necessary.  The newbie says thanks again.

callawegian

• Edited by callawegian Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:03 PM clarify wording
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I had never enabled media sharing.  Server now found and will have to iron out privacy issues as I work through the Media Sharing brief.  Thanks again.

callawegian

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Most routers with built in switches can be used as switches if you don't plug anything into the WAN port - though it depends on the kit and it's not the most power efficient means either - which might tie you over until you get a proper switch.
    --
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:41 PM