Add Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed the latest, RC1. I had two 1.5GB with the previous version where they went into the pool. Now, however, the second drive is just sitting there. I can see from the folders view that they all have 1.3 of available space (since C took 60GB for the install).

The only thing I can do is "add the hard drive to server backup". Does that mean that it will be used for the VAIL backup or the client backups? I don't want to jump the gun and assign it without knowing.

There's no way to make it available to the "pool" as before? I guess?

Thanks....

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:00 PM

Answers

• >There's no way to make it available to the "pool" as before? I guess?

There is no pool any more.  You can add or moved a shared folder to
    it, or you can use it for server backup...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:14 PM

All replies

• >There's no way to make it available to the "pool" as before? I guess?

There is no pool any more.  You can add or moved a shared folder to
    it, or you can use it for server backup...

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Bob. You mean, manually move it? Would it know that I moved it and look to the new location? Or do you mean anything other than the default folders of VIDEOS, PICTURES, MUSIC, etc..

And so, by server backup you mean backing up WHS, correct?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:28 PM
  • There is a move folder wizard in the dashboard.  Its under the server folders, and hard drive tab.  From there, click server folders, and look to the right side, and there you will see a move folder option.  Use this, and the system will know where folders are.  I would also recommend having a hard drive dedicated to server backup, as without the Drive Extender, there will be no folder duplication. 

Hope this helps

D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Thanks Bob. You mean, manually move it?

Nope, it's part of the dashboard functionality to move a folder or
    create folders.

And so, by server backup you mean backing up WHS, correct?

Yep.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Thanks AGAIN Bob...one more if I may? So then I probably should NOT turn on Shadow Copy on the volumes?
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:42 PM
  • >Thanks AGAIN Bob...one more if I may? So then I probably should NOT turn on Shadow Copy on the volumes?

I wouldn't say that, it might be useful for versioning or deleted
    files.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:01 PM
  • >>So then I probably should NOT turn on Shadow Copy on the volumes?
    ========
    I'm having some problems with backup, and when I examined my hard drives, I found Enable Shadow Copy checked on all of 'em by default, I guess, since I KNOW I wouldn't have checked it cause I didn't know what it means.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:15 AM
  • From "Getting Started" Guide:

Shared Folder Previous Versions<o:p></o:p>

Previous versions are enabled by default but can be disabled/enabled manually through the Server Folders and Hard Drives tab.  Opening a hard drive�??s properties will display �??Shadow Copy�?� options.  Shadow Copies is the technology that enables the use of previous versions on the shared folders.  Previous versions can be accessed from any authorized user by right clicking the file or folder inside the shared folders.  From the Previous Version�??s tab, you can restore, copy or open the previous version.<o:p></o:p>

--
    Don
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:15 AM