Missing updated message on Vail RRS feed

• Question

• I've received a Missing Update message in Vail which I presume relates to a windows Hotfix ref KB982296. When I right click this update it won't let me uninstall (logged in as administrator) although the other below will give me that option. 

I'm fairly sure this is the problem update. Anyone got any ideas how to remove it and reinstall?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:14 PM

Answers

• Does the details of the alert say vail is missing an update or is it a pc/desktop?
    Grey
    • Marked as answer by joewalch Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• I've received a Missing Update message in Vail which I presume relates to a windows Hotfix ref KB982296. When I right click this update it won't let me uninstall (logged in as administrator) although the other below will give me that option. 

I'm fairly sure this is the problem update. Anyone got any ideas how to remove it and reinstall?

You shouldn't be unintalling any updates (especially from the server desktop, which using is unsupported).  If you are getting a message saying that you are missing updates, that means you need to install 1 (or more) updates on the server, not that any update needs to be removed.  Open the Dashboard, then click General settings > Change/Install updates... > Install updates (or, if you want to find out what the update is, click on "x important updates are available").  (FYI, it could be an update for Windows Defender, which is included in the underlying OS, Server 2008 R2.)
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hi

I have tried the obvious solution however there are no updates to install showing on either the dashboard or via RDP.

Any other ideas?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Does the details of the alert say vail is missing an update or is it a pc/desktop?
    Grey
    • Marked as answer by joewalch Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Turns out it was an obvious answer. One of my PC's needed to update. I think it's time for some more relevant naming of client PCs!
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Dear Joe,

i wonder if it was an obvious answer. I had the same thing yesterday and it was definitely saying that it was the server that was missing the updates. Eventually I selected refresh on the message and it cleared. I thought that the error was linked to the tardy removal of messages after the offence has been cleared. 

I am glad that your notification is once more green.

Ian 

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:30 PM