I would like to know what HDD I need to take out after removing it from WHS disk array RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am not sure whether this is atupid question or not. I am using WHS OEM and I have 12 500GB SATA HDDS which holds all my photos, music, videos as well as movies (both DVD and HD movies). All of these HDDs are identical so that WHS shows 12 HDDs in the same type. One day I had a failure HDD and I removed it from the disk array. However I didn't know what HDD I need to take out from case. I had to try one by one and that was a pain process.

Is there anyway we can give HDD in the WHS disk array a different name so that we know exactly what disk I need take out after I remove it from the WHS? 

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:44 PM

Answers

• There are no stupid questions - currently no there isn't a clear method of identifying the drive based on the list in the UI, though this has been suggested for future versions. We've identified what would need to be done to make this happen, it just isn't a simple task.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

• There are no stupid questions - currently no there isn't a clear method of identifying the drive based on the list in the UI, though this has been suggested for future versions. We've identified what would need to be done to make this happen, it just isn't a simple task.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the answer. Looks like that we will have to wait.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:14 PM
  •  

Jeffrey,

The server I have before HS had 12 drives in it as well.  After 7 years and only 3 drive failures finally got HS.  But did learn after the second drive failure that it was much easier to label the drive bays on the inside of the case with the number that corisponded to the disk management ui.  Then when the 3rd drive failed just a few months before I got HS I just had to pull the one that matched the UI.

Ron

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:16 AM
  •  Marc Moon wrote:

There are no stupid questions - currently no there isn't a clear method of identifying the drive based on the list in the UI, though this has been suggested for future versions. We've identified what would need to be done to make this happen, it just isn't a simple task.

Sure it is.. we need a way to name our drives in the console so we can make a label/note on the drive itself. this way it's clear wich drive to take out or replace.

Maybe someone can make some add-in for this?
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:47 PM
  • unfortunately, naming the drives in the console only helps if you know which drive is which already.  There is a thread about correlating the drive numbers used in Disk Management to the drives listed in the WHS console.  Not sure if anything came of that.  From my experience, even if you know the controller and port information you can still have a hard time identifying the correct drive if you've done much wire management (all the SATA cables look the same in my case and they're all bundled together).

My advice is to write down the pertinent data (model #, Serial #, capacity, physical location in system) for each of your drives as you install them and you'll likely have enough information between Disk Management, the WHS Console, and other system tools to ID the correct drive without too much trial and error.

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:19 PM