Best Option for System Drive on new Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new server to install WHS on, it came with 2 250 GB drives, and has room for 4 drives. I have 2 new 1 TB drives to add, but later I will change one of the 250s to a 1 TB.
    In setting up this new WHS, would it be best to use the 250 GB as a system drive, and after WHS is installed, then add the other 1 TB drives? That way all my data will be on the 1 TB drives....
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    there is no such thing as the "best choice" any more, at least not before knowing anything about the amount of data to be backed up and the amount of data in shared folders and in duplicated shared folders you expect.

If your WHS is fully up to date, it will try to avoid storing real data in the DATA volume of the system disk as long, as other disks are available and offer enough storage to keep the backups, the shared folders and the duplicated folders.
    With 2 active disks at least the duplicated folders will be stored on the D: drive, so it depends on the amount of data, which you store in duplicated shared folders, if you prefer a large disk as system volume or a 3 disk scenario in the beginning.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:10 PM