locked
Remote access problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a new installation; router is WRT54GL.

    The setup of the home server, including Web access, went smoothly. I can connect through the Web from within my LAN, but cannot connect using IE7, getting an error message, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

    I have tried unconfiguring my router, then doing the setup again, but again I get all green checks...  so the automatic configuring of my router seems to work.

    Do I have to forward some other port? If so, which one(s).

    Thanks for any help.

    Art

    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:26 PM

Answers

  • Solved.

     

    I connected a completely unprotected computer directly to my modem, then went to ShieldsUp  ...and discovered that about a dozen ports--including 80 and 443--were blocked, either by my ISP, or by my modem (if that's possible). I followed the excellent tutoria at myhomeserver.com to change the remote access ports; and for good measure, I upgraded to an N-band router.

     

    I now have remote access.

     

    Thanks, various posters here and in the software forum, for giving support.

     

     

    Friday, February 29, 2008 5:45 AM

All replies

  • I should clarify:
    • Within my LAN, I can connect using IE7
    • From a computer outside my LAN, I cannot connect using IE7   "...cannot display the webpage."
    • Today I tried manually configuring port forwarding for ports 80, 443, and 4125, but still could not connect from a remote computer.
    (I didn't 'unconfigure' my router using the HS Console before manually configuring it.)

    Any hints or clues?

    Thanks.
    Art

    Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:54 AM
  • No, you don't need to forward any more ports.
    It's possible that your ISP is blocking http (port 80) acccess - some don't like people running public webservers at home.
    Have you tried conencting to https://yourname.homeserver.com?

    Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:21 AM
  • cuppie:


    My ISP says it does not block any ports.


    I cannot connect using either http://<myname>.hphomeserver.com or https://<myname>.hphomeserver.com.


    Summary:


     - I can connect to my home server from within my LAN, and transfer or use shared files
     - Web connect is ON
     - Ports 80, 443 and 4125 are forwarded on my router (Linksys WRT54GS)
     - I re-registered the domain name (in Home Server Console) with TZO; it was validated


    BUT:
     - when I look at my router DDNS settings, my domain name is there, but there is an error message "connect to server fail" 
     - if I log out of my router, then log back in, it then shows "invalid key" on DDNS page
     - I cannot connect to the home server from a remote computer (because of the problem with TZO?)
     - also, I cannot connect to the home server from a remote computer using the IP address of my router.

    So, what do I do to correct my TZO domain name problem? Why can I not connect using my IP address?

     

    (Incidentally, I can connect to my router using remote administration, so I know that my IP address is correct.)

    Thanks,
    Art

     

    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:09 AM
  • "(Incidentally, I can connect to my router using remote administration, so I know that my IP address is correct.)"
    And, that's likely what's killing you.  Unless the router's remote admin function uses a non-standard port (say, 81 or 441 for http / https), that's all you're likely to get to from outside.
    Try turning remote admin off, or change the port(s) it uses (if possible.) 

    Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Chris,

     

    The remote access problem was occurring before I turned remote admin on (using port 8080).

     

    But just to test it, I just changed the port to 441.

     

    I still cannot access my HS.

     

    I am now going to try turning remote admin off to see if that makes any difference.

     

    Thanks for the reply.

     

    Art

    Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:03 PM
  • Remote admin is now disabled, but this made no difference in my access problem.

     

    Now I gotta wait for my non-techie wife to come home so I can phone her and coach her on turning remote admin back on for me!  ;-)

     

    Art

     

     

    Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Solved.

     

    I connected a completely unprotected computer directly to my modem, then went to ShieldsUp  ...and discovered that about a dozen ports--including 80 and 443--were blocked, either by my ISP, or by my modem (if that's possible). I followed the excellent tutoria at myhomeserver.com to change the remote access ports; and for good measure, I upgraded to an N-band router.

     

    I now have remote access.

     

    Thanks, various posters here and in the software forum, for giving support.

     

     

    Friday, February 29, 2008 5:45 AM