Blue Screen Crash while installing wga. RRS feed

• Question

• I started having this problem recently after my computer was infected by a virus/trojan/malware. I am confident I have since removed any active portions of the malicious software, but the problem may still be related to that or possibly my over zealous cleaning up. I do not recall the names of the offending software that I removed, but I do recall it disabled the windows firewall and security center and the virus tried to pretend it was the windows security center and tried to force me to buy anti virus software etc.

Now when I go to update my windows it tells me that I need to install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Upgrade (KB905474). I had recently updated my machine of all critical updates before the incident on 10/11/06 without having to redownload this update. I also have downloaded this update it appears back on 7/10/06 from my update history:

Windows XP

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Monday, July 10, 2006

Automatic Updates

So unless there is a newer update that came out after 10/11/06 and 10/20/06 then I think something must have been damaged or deleted and I need to fix that.

The real error comes if I try to install this update through any means available, automatic updates, windows update on the web, or manually by running the file WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86.exe. All methods immediately produce a Blue Screen Error:

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBAFF080E, 0xB828DA20, 0x00000000)

I have successfully validated my copy of windows on the various web pages on this site and have run the diagnostic tool successfully.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0555.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 48c74c0b-1f03-4f17-b04d-deee1c735e16
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.708.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic: Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data–>
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>48c74c0b-1f03-4f17-b04d-deee1c735e16</UGUID><Version>1.5.0555.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-30658023-1987549484-3613213455</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4600 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20031008000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>4D593C6F01848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Any ideas on what might be either forcing my computer to want to redownload the wga notification update or be the cause of the blue screen errors when I try to install it?

Is there any thing in particular I should check in the registry to make sure didn’t get fudged up or files to check that might be corrupt or missing that could lead to these issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:59 AM

Answers

• Willie:

Please let me know asap. Also, check your control panel - device manager to ensure all your hardware has the correct drivers to run. All blue-screens (as of date) have been attributed to device drivers.

-phil

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:37 AM
  • Willie,

Yes i'm afraid. it sounds like there is alot more going on then just your first issue. A clean re-install would be your best bet...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:27 PM

All replies

• You may have removed the virus or malware, but the damage inflicted upon your system will require a "clean install" of your operating system.

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:31 PM
  • Ouch. That is pretty unfortunate. I of course would like to avoid clean reinstalling my machine if at all possible.

Are you sure there are not any key registry entries or .dll files I could check to make sure they are not missing or corrupt before going to the extreme of a reinstall?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:20 PM
  • You can try the following:

1. Go to Start > Run and type:  CMD  , and hit enter.
    2. In the Command Prompt window type: SFC /SCANNOW
        and hit enter.  Have your Windows XP CD available.

After running SFC:

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
    System Information > View > System History

Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747&Product=winxp

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:22 PM
  • Thanks for that tip and link. I will try this asap and report back with any findings.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:48 PM
  • Willie:

Please let me know asap. Also, check your control panel - device manager to ensure all your hardware has the correct drivers to run. All blue-screens (as of date) have been attributed to device drivers.

-phil

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:37 AM
  • I ran the sfc and it completed without any notice. I checked the history and did not see any reference to files be replaced.

I also checked device manager and there are no devices that are acting up, all look normal.

I will try to reinstall the drivers for a few key things like video and network later tonight to see if that helps at all and let you know.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:19 PM
  • Sorry for the slow response, I have reloaded all of the drivers that I could think of and get.

Motherboard, video, sound, and network. None of them have had any effect, now unfortunately the crashes are no longer limited to while installing the windows updates. Anytime my computer has been on ~30 minutes he will just blue screen. I can still get it to blue screen right way by trying to do the updates, but it is now virtually impossible to even use rather then just an annoyance not being able to update.

It looks like I have no other option left, but to do a clean reinstall.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 5:36 PM
  • Willie,

Yes i'm afraid. it sounds like there is alot more going on then just your first issue. A clean re-install would be your best bet...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:27 PM