Does OneCare Monitor System File Changes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  I've been using OneCare 2.0 for about a week now, and so far I'm pretty impressed with the suite's performance.  I do have a question with regards to system file changes.

Windows Defender (which is turned off when OneCare is installed) would alert you if something tried to change system files (HOSTS, etc.).  I don't seem to have similar functionality in OneCare.  Is this a setting I'm missing, or does this not exist?  Can Defender be turned back on to provide this (without interfering with OneCare's functionality)?

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, December 3, 2007 6:48 PM

Answers

• I may have answered you earlier, but I answered in another thread that I just checked on my Vista PC by changing the Hosts file and OneCare did not stop me or alert me to the changes. So, it appears that at least for the Host file change, initiated by me and providing administrator rights via the UAC prompt, OneCare allowed me to do it. I don't know if OneCare will prevent another program from changing it, but I suspect that it should - in that this is malicious behavior - which OneCare monitors for.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:39 PM

All replies

• I may have answered you earlier, but I answered in another thread that I just checked on my Vista PC by changing the Hosts file and OneCare did not stop me or alert me to the changes. So, it appears that at least for the Host file change, initiated by me and providing administrator rights via the UAC prompt, OneCare allowed me to do it. I don't know if OneCare will prevent another program from changing it, but I suspect that it should - in that this is malicious behavior - which OneCare monitors for.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:39 PM
  • You did earlier - thanks.  Before you responded I posted here as I wasn't sure I was in the right forum. 
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:27 PM