Invalid activation of product key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a DELL Inspiron 1525 laptop from with Windows Vista installed from Dell 18 months ago.  Recently I started getting an error message saying the product key for Windows Vista was invalid and despite retyping the product key on the bottom of my laptop numerous occasions only to be told that it is not a valid key.  How is this possible given that I have purchased this product from a supposedly reputable company??????  I am sick of having to trall through dell and microsoft websites trying to find out what it is wrong.  Please tell me how I fix this?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hello cemery7,

Normally I would request that you run a Diagnostic Report, but from your description, I am confident that the below steps will resolve the issue:

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate. (Use the Product Key from the sticker on the PC and Activate by Phone)

If the above steps do not work, then create a New Thread and include a Diagnostic Report as well as any errors you encountered while trying the above steps.

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a message in the new thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
    1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
    4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.
    5) In the new thread, paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:12 PM