Moving a WHS storage pool drive to a non-WHS server? RRS feed

• Question

• Im giving up on WHS and trying my luck with Windows Server 2008 R2 instead. I have a new system drive for Server 2008 R2, but i am worried about how to move my >5TB data to the new system as i dont have any spare harddrives.

Will Windows Server 2008 R2 be able to read the storage pool disks from WHS? If they can, at what level will the data be distributed over the disks?

I hope WHS wont have split up individual files so that the files will be corrupt when viewing only a single disks.

Most of my data is my movie rips which are stored as DVD (VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS) and BD (BDMV etc) folders. How are these likely to be split up?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

PS: Because i know someone is bound to ask, im getting rid of WHS because i cannot stream ripped blurays reliably from it (demigrator messes with my disks while streaming) and because i cant unzip/copy 20GB files even though i have 650GB free space spread evenly over 4 drives (and yes i am using PP3).

Friday, March 26, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is probably not the best suggestion, however I believe this would be an option. How much data do you have on the drives, and how much is the total capacity?

If you're not to be using whs again, you could remove all client backups to get some more free space, turn off duplication etc to be able to remove a drive from the pool. Doing so, you could manually copy the files to the drive removed from the pool, freeing more space making you able to remove more drives and so on. Will take time, but you'll know exactly what is on each drive.

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:04 PM
  • This is probably not the best suggestion, however I believe this would be an option. How much data do you have on the drives, and how much is the total capacity?

If you're not to be using whs again, you could remove all client backups to get some more free space, turn off duplication etc to be able to remove a drive from the pool. Doing so, you could manually copy the files to the drive removed from the pool, freeing more space making you able to remove more drives and so on. Will take time, but you'll know exactly what is on each drive.

I have 6TB capacity and 650GB free space. I do not have any backups to delete, its all movies and music. 

What im hoping for is that if i have say a folder F with files a,b,c that i will then have F on say 3 of the drives, with F\a on drive 1, F\b on drive 2 etc. If thats the case i can use the Windows 7 style folder merge to merge the content of a folder back together. Of course i cannot merge at the root level as no single drive has capacity for that, but can merge the movies folders in small groups onto a disk of my choice.

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:34 PM
  • See this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, March 26, 2010 6:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Azirath Friday, March 26, 2010 6:51 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:10 PM