none
How do I do a sane 3-way merge between 3 .vcxproj.filters and .vcxproj files? RRS feed

• Question

• We have some projects we get from vendors.  We don't have access to their SCM system, but we get updates for their solution at intervals.  We modify some things but it doesn't go upstream all the time, so I have the honour of merging in their changes.  It is somewhat painful, but not as painful as merging in the .vcxproj.filters and .vcxproj files as they are XML and cannot be done manually using traditional line merging without screwing something up terribly as the nodes are not ordered.  In other words, node A may follow or precede B which may result in a seriously screwed up file.

Is there already some method of merging together these types of files in some sane manner?

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:06 AM

All replies

• Are you using Git as SCM ? 

Since this forum is for Visual Studio IDE issues, to get support of Git with Visual Studio you could post this issue at Stack Overflow, and MS Support Engineers there will help you with it.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Honestly, it shouldn't matter what SCM I'm using as Visual Studio has a built in merging system.  It is that system that I'm querying on as your own files (.vcxproj and .vcxproj.filters) are in XML format.  Because of that,  I would expect that your builtin merging system should be able to handle this in a way that is reliable and not going to cause the file to break.

As such, I do not find this thread OT.

Looking around on the forums and on SO, I've only found one XML merge application that I could get working, and I am quite surprised and disheartened at that.

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

• Edited by A D R I A N Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:30 PM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:27 PM